Chapter 14 - Sleeping With the Enemy

After leaving the hospital we went to a key cutter so I could get copies of the house keys for Ivy and Matt since it looked like they’d be staying with me for a while.  Before Matt and I made our picnic for the beach we dropped Ivy off at her house to pack up her things, pick up her car before heading to the shops so she could stock my fridge and cupboards with her favourite foods too.

We made a stop by the police station so I could answer their questions and give them my statement before we headed to the beach.  They didn’t keep me long so Matt and I were relieved, half an hour later, to be driving out of town.

“So where is this beach about?”

“Not too far away, but far enough so you can get some peace and privacy from the towns folk here.”

“Sounds like heaven.”

The beach was practically empty except for a few early risers who were out walking their dogs or just lounging in the warmth of the sun.  Matt had packed a delicious range of food from fruit to sandwiches to soda.  He put down a windbreaker to stop the slight breeze from bothering us but it also worked as privacy divider so that we could strip down to our swim wear.

After frolicking down by the water and building castles in the sand we spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon just lying on the blanket side by side.  Then he put his arm around me.

“Such a beautiful day.” He mumbled to the sky.

“Mm, you’re not wrong there.”

“I wish it never had to end.”

“Well, may be we should just stay here forever.” I said holding the hand resting on my shoulder.

Matt leaned in for the slightest of kisses before pulling away again.

“What’s wrong?”

“If I kiss you how will I know if you mean it or just go back and kiss Tyler?”

“I won’t.  Ty is important to me too, Matt, but we just seem to end up hurting each other all the time.  I don’t want that.”

“You know I’d never hurt you.”

“I know.”

“So what does this mean for us?  Is this a date or is it just two really good – and attractive – friends hanging out?”

I laughed, “No, it’s a date.”

“Yeah?”

“Yes.”

“So can we skip past the awkward part where we get to know each other - seeing as we already know each other – and just be boyfriend and girlfriend?”

“Boy, you move fast.” I laughed again.

“Well, what do you say?”

“I say okay.”

“Do you know what happens next?”

“No, what happens?”

“I’m going to kiss my girlfriend.”

“Gosh, you’re so corny, Matt.”

“Hey, I like to think I’m a romantic.”

“Shut up and kiss me.”

Unfortunately, the winter weather soon caught up with us and we were forced to wrap up in warm clothes before dashing into the car when the skies poured down on us.  Matt turned the heater of his car up to its max before pulling out of the small parking area by the beach.