Chapter 15 - Under the Sea

Harry agreed with Ivy it seemed when I told him during my next visit about her idea.

“If you told me this a year ago I would’ve said no.  But, the fact is, the more people who know the truth about you, Isla and the other Mermaids and men, is possibly the better.”

“Are you serious?”

“Look at it this way, the more who know, the more friends you will have there to protect you from Ivy’s family.  As much as I like to believe, Reese, but I won’t always be there to save you and, since you seem to have broken your friendship with Tyler, means he won’t be there either.”

“So what do I do?”

“Well choose wisely who you want in on the secret.  Obviously it can’t be too many more because there’s only a certain amount of people we can trust with this secret.”

“Well, I guess I’ll have to go with Matt and Shauna.”

“Have you seen much of Shauna lately?”

“She’s started seeing one of Tyler’s friends.  I think he’s her first boyfriend, really, so I’ve just been giving her some space so she can spend time with him, you know?  She’s an awfully shy girl.”

“That’s real sweet of you, honey.  But don’t go letting her think that you’ve forgotten about her.  You don’t want to lose another friend.”

“No, I don’t.”

“Any chance you’ll forgive, Tyler?”

“No, we just seem to keep hurting each other all the time, Gramps.  Besides, now that I’m dating Matt he probably doesn’t want anything to do with me.”

“Well, that’s your business.  I’ll be out in a couple days’ so, if you want, we can break it to Matt and Shauna then.”

“Okay, I’ll wait till you’re home.”

Ivy was pleased, as was I, to have Harry home soon.  As much as we appreciated Matt looking out for us and using his culinary skills, it wasn’t easy for two teen girls to live with a messy disgusting teen boy.

The night before Harry’s return home, Shauna introduced me to the prom committee.  She had signed up for it at the start of the year without me, and seemed quite happy to, until she discovered the new member who had joined up over the weekend.  Samara Fields.  At four o’clock on Tuesday night I met her on one of the upper floors outside the yearbook office just like she asked.

“Oh, good you’re here.” She said, arriving just after me.  “Come on, I’ll introduce you.”

“I’ve never done anything like this before, Shauna.  I’m not sure I’ll be much help.”

“Oh, you’ll be fine.”

There were already a few people gathered in the room chatting happily away.  In one corner stood a tall fair haired girl with a birth mark on her neck shaped like a crescent and a boy with short dark hair and thick black glasses perched on the bridge of his long crooked nose, framing dark brown eyes.

“This is Polly Link and Andrew Shepard.  Guys, this is Reese, she’s our newest member.”

“Nice to meet you.” Said the boy.  “You can call me Andy.”

“Uh, hi.  Thanks.” I said, shaking both their hands in turn.

Two other boys stood by the white board.  The tallest boy had dark skin and jade green eyes; he was also wearing a Letterman jacket which suggested he was on Matt’s football team.  The other boy had wet blonde hair and a towel over his shoulders suggesting he was part of the swim team.