Chapter 21 - House Warming

New Years’ Eve passed without any drama except for the fact that Tyler hadn’t shown up for the party Matt’s aunt threw in their back yard.  For most of January he stayed with his Dad who’d moved out of their family home to go stay in a distant cousins’ apartment in New York.

February arrived bringing with it the last of the winter chill.  After Valentine’s Day, Matt and I were soon planning our date to the beach but when Shauna and Ivy caught wind of this they thought it sounded like a great idea for a group thing.  But, of course, the weather still wasn’t permitting us to enjoy the golden sands just then.

All, except Ty, Shauna, Declan, Ivy and Jake, were unaware that Matt and I were secretly dating behind their backs.  He’d done us I’d requested – asked me out on a proper date – and we were happily enjoying our secret romance together.

Unfortunately, that still meant Matt had many girls drooling all over him, hoping and wishing that he’d ask one of them to the dance next month.  They seemed to be forgetting it was girls’ choice though and I’d already beat them all to the punch.

During the third week in March, Matt was approached by Blake and Carmen whom thrust a large envelope into his hands.  Samara was near by watching anxiously while I piled books into my locker ten doors away from Matt’s.

“Mother has finally bought a house in Newcastle.” Said Carmen as she fluttered her eyelashes at Matt.

“And we’re having a housewarming party this weekend.”

“We hope you can make it.”

They said this as they approached everyone in the corridor (except for the math and chess dorks) and gave them an invitation.  Including me.

“Don’t look so shocked, Reese.” Blake said handing me an envelope.

“You’re our sister.”

“I’m your step-sister and I haven’t spoken to either of you in months.”

“Whatever, why don’t we let bygones be bygones.”

They both looked over their shoulder and smiled at Matt who was watching intently.  Samara leaned against a locker just behind him looking furious but neither of the twins seemed to notice this.

“You can bring a friend if you like.” Carmen said falsely sweet.

“I’ll think about it.”

“Great, see you Saturday.”

They both stalked off and turned a corner whilst I added the invitation to my locker too.  A bang like a gunshot sounded nearby and I turned to see Samara approach Matt.

“What did they want?” she asked of him.

“Just inviting me to a party.”

“Party?  What party?”

“Housewarming.” Matt said flatly.

“You’re not going with them are you?” she took the card and read it.  “You’ve got a plus one!” she suddenly turned on her falsely sweet charm.  “I could go with you if you want.”

“No thanks, Sammy.” He said, shutting his own locker.

“Matty, please!  We used to be such good friends.”

“Yeah, until I learned what you’re really like.  I don’t want to go out with you, Samara.”

“But…”

“I didn’t even want to go out with you when I thought you were nice, either.  So, please, just… leave me alone.”

Matt went to class looking upset and aggravated which left me alone in the corridor with a furious Samara.