Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

I have no idea how long I've been sitting inside my car, all I know is that my tears won't stop falling. I don't even know where I am, basta nung hindi ko na kaya, I pulled over and cried my heart out.

I didn't care kung nagkalat yung makeup ko, I just cried. Masakit eh. Masakit pala. Bigla na lang din nag-flashback sa isip ko lahat.

You know each other?

Yeah.. We were schoolmates in high school.

Hey, s-sorry, babe.. I-I was uhm, pinuntahan ko k-kasi si ano, yung isang client namin. A-ano, he had a problem with my p-proposal last week, nag meet kami to f-fix what was wrong. Eh n-namatay phone ko, sorry.

Oh, Maurine? Yung awkward schoolmate mo from the other night? Oh, so they're getting married pala. Pupunta ka?

N-No. B-Busy ako nun babe. Sa Batangas pa yung venue. Tsaka.. h-hindi din naman kami close nun diba?

Baby, you're not overreacting, okay? And I should be the one saying sorry, baby, not you. Sorry talaga, Maxine.

Sorry, hindi na talaga mauulit. I promise. I'm so sorry, baby. Tahan na please? Sorry talaga. I'm so sorry, Maxine.

Sino ba yan, babe? Sagutin mo na, baka importante.

No, uhm. It's just... someone from work. I'll talk to him later.

Finally, it all came into place. That's why that girl looked so familiar.

Na-istorbo ang pag-iisip ko when I realized that my phone had been ringing for God knows how long. Kuya's caller ID flashed on the screen. I just stared at my phone until it stopped ringing. He's been calling me since an hour ago, but I don't have the energy to deal with him right now. Pagagalitan nya lang din ako for not answering his calls. I was about to put it back on the passenger seat when it started ringing again. This time, it was Julia who was calling me.

"Hello?! Maxine? Where are you? Kuya Josh has been calling me nonstop, he's looking for you, he seems worried. Ano ba nangyari?" I couldn't help but sob when I heard her voice.

"Hey, are you crying? Max, what happened?!" Hindi pa din ako makapagsalita, I just continued sobbing which seemed to make her more anxious.

"Maxine, talk to me, please! Ano bang nang-" I cut her off.

"I saw Luke kissing someone," as I said those words, more tears came down from my eyes. And for a while, hindi sya nakapagsalita.

"What?! Wait, okay, where are you? Pupuntahan kita."

"N-No. Ako na pupunta sa inyo."

"Okay, If you say so. But please calm down muna before you come over, okay? Drive safely honey, I'll wait for you here."

---

I sighed deeply before ringing the doorbell.

"Hi," I bit my lip to keep it from trembling, but it was useless because as soon as I saw Julia's worried face, I sobbed.

"Oh honey, come here," she immediately pulled me in for a hug. I've always loved her hugs, it always made me feel safe and warm, like nothing in the world could ever hurt me.

"J-Juls, L-Luke... He c-cheated on me," I tried my best to talk in between sobs.

"Shh. Calm down bes. Come, why don't we sit first, okay?" She guided me to sit on the couch and made one of their maids get me some water.

"Bes, he was kissing another girl. I don't know why he did that. I can't believe he did that!" I was bawling into her arms as she hugged me tight.

"Okay, Maxine. You have to calm down first, okay? Baka hindi ka na makahinga nyan," she ran her hands up and down my back to comfort me.

"Pero, Julia! Ba't nya ginawa yun? I trusted him! Juls, I love him! Why would he cheat on me?! Bakit?!"

"Maxine!" I did not expect to hear that voice at all. "Where were you?1 I tried to call you a thousand times but you weren't answering! I was worried sick!"

"Kuya Josh?" I heard Julia say his name. Napatayo ako to face him. He was in his white shirt and black slacks, and he was panting. His frustrated expression turned to pity when he saw what state I was in. He immediately hugged me.

"I'm sorry, Max. I'm sorry this happened. I'm sorry—"

"That was Maureen, wasn't it?" I interrupted him. I wiggled out of his arms and faced him. "The girl.. The girl whom I saw Luke with. Yung schoolmate nya, na hindi nya ka-close? Yung ikakasal ngayon na close friend mo? That was her, right?" I waited for his answer. He could not look me in the eye as he sighed.

"Y-Yeah. That's her."

I took a deep breath before speaking again. "So did you know about this Kuya?" That's when he looked at me.

"No, Max. If you're talking about what happened today, I didn't know anything about this, okay? I won't do anything to hurt you—" I cut him off again.

"How did this happen then, Kuya? Paano? Why would—"

"They were exes Maxine!" That caught me off guard.

"I warned Lucas. I told him to tell you the truth about them. Pero sabi nya there was no need for any of that because they didn't love each other anymore and Maureen was getting married, for Pete's sake! I didn't know that... I'm sorry Max," he sighed.

Napaupo na lang ako sa couch as I sobbed harder.

---

1 week after..

"Anak! Oh my goodness, I missed you so much!" I returned Mom's hug tightly, and tried so much not to cry in her arms. Sinalubong nila kami ni Dad dito sa airport.

"I missed you too, Mom." I kissed her cheek and turned my attention to Gabby who was busy trying to get out of her stroller. "Hi there, sweetie. I missed you so much! Look at you! You're so big na!" I took her out of the stroller and hugged her tight as she excitedly squeezed me back and called me Mama. I giggled as she showered me with kisses.

"Sancho, how was the flight?" Nakita kong nag-beso si Mom and Dad. I've never seen them together since Mom left the Philippines.

"It was... nice, Isabella. How are you?" They looked at each other awkwardly.

"I'm good," Mom then looked at me and Gabby. As far as I know, this would be the first-time Dad will be meeting Gabby in person. I showed him Gabby a couple of times whenever I facetimed Mom, but Dad would just always say hi then go back to what he's doing.

"Uhm, Daddy, this is Gabriella Isabelle," I spoke when I saw Mom fidgeting, she clearly doesn't know what to say. I also don't have any idea what to expect from Dad.

After a few seconds, Dad crouched in front of me and Gabby, "H-Hi there, Gabriella Isabelle," he offered her a small smile. Gabby stared at him for a long time.

I was about to speak when she reached out her tiny hands to him, parang nagpapakarga. He looked at me and Mom, who were as surprised as him, and reluctantly grabbed her from my arms. But what was more surprising was the next words that came out of Gabby's little mouth.

"Hi Daddy, you can call me Gabby," she kissed his cheek as we all stood there, stunned.

---

Hi guys! So this is just a short update. I promise, the next one's what you guys have been waiting for ;) 

Please have more patience for me as I just started going to college, and just started at my new workplace, please bear with me :)

Thank y'all for reading :) Please do vote and comment, or share this story.

Love y'all laterssss xx