Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

Luke quickly arranged the food in front of me after I closed my laptop. "Baby, here. I cooked sinigang for you. Dinamihan ko yung soup coz I know gusto mo yung sabaw and it's your favorite—" I cut him off.

"Why are you still here? I thought you'd gone home already? Baka may mga gagawin ka pa or something," I looked everywhere but his face.

"Maxine, I wanted to make sure you're okay. And my work's almost done with the firm's project. Come on, eat up, baby. I'm sure you're hungry," he picked the spoon and the bowl up and attempted to feed me.

"Kaya ko," I took the spoon and the bowl from him. "Ikaw? Hindi ka kakain?" I stared at the food.

"I'm fine baby. Alam ko namang kulang mo pa yan," he grinned.

"Sira ka," I chuckled softly. "Just eat with me, please. Ayokong kumakain ng mag-isa," finally, I looked at him and I caught him staring at me. I offered him the spoon and the bowl.

"Fine," he took the spoon and the bowl. He held the spoon with food in front of my mouth. "Say ahh, baby," I shook my head and tried to take the spoon away from him but it was too late because he held it farther away from me. "Come on baby, please," he pouted and I rolled my eyes. "That's my girl," he grinned nung sinubo ko yung nasa kutsara. I slapped his arms. I hate how he could get away from his sins with his charms.

---

"Here, take this. That's for nighttime, para mawala kaagad migraine mo," Luke offered me a glass of water and a capsule of Tylenol. He just came back after nyang ibinaba sa kusina yung mga pinagkainan namin. Umayos ako ng upo sa bed and rested my head on the headboard.

"Thank you," he just stood there while I took the medicine.

"Maxine, can I stay here for a bit?" he stared at me matapos nyang itabi yung tubig. I sighed and tapped the space beside me. He slowly sat on the bed, facing me.

"How are you feeling na?" he stared at me.

"Much better," I stared back at him. Ngayon ko lang napansin how tired his eyes look. His hair looked unruly. He hasn't shaved much as well. He seemed stressed out.

"Look," he reached out to hold my hands. I watched as his Adam's apple bob up and down as he swallowed. "I am really sorry Maxine," he stared into my eyes and I felt his hands reached mine. "I know I have been an asshole these past few weeks," he looked down at our hands and swallowed again. "I've been telling you I was busy, but really, that's not an excuse. I should've called and texted you and checked up on you," he sighed. "I'm really sorry baby. I am. Please let me make it up to you," he looked at me and I saw how sorry he was.

"It's okay na," I squeezed his hands. "Sorry din. I know you're just doing your work and medyo nakakapagod yung ginagawa mo. Maybe I was just overreacting because I missed you so much," I sighed and looked down as my tears stared to fall.

"Baby, you're not overreacting, okay? And I should be the one saying sorry, baby, not you. Sorry talaga, Maxine," he cupped my chin to make me look at him.

"It's okay na Luke. Basta, next time, please, promise me we'll have time for each other pa din? Medyo masakit lang kasi sakin yung nagtatampo ako sa'yo. I don't like being upset with you, babe," I sniffed.

"I'm so sorry I hurt you baby," he quickly pulled me in for a hug. "Sorry, hindi na talaga mauulit. I promise. I'm so sorry, baby. Tahan na please? Sorry talaga. I'm so sorry, Maxine," he kept saying sorry as I sobbed into his arms.

---

I woke up to my phone ringing and I realized it was my alarm. I checked the time and it was 8:00 in the morning. I also saw a text message from Luke. 'Good morning sleepyhead. I hope you're feeling much better today. I turned your alarm on at 8 coz Julia told me 11:30 exams nyo today, that is if you're good to go to school na. Text or call me when you wake up. I love you.' Immediately, I smiled.