Stay - Prologue

A/N: before you read this, I don't want this to trigger anyone at all. This may contain triggering content so if you're sensitive to certain things that will make you self-harm, depressed or suicidal please don't read this story. 

I love you, stay strong. <3 x

Prologue

Dear Laurel,

Why did this have to happen to you? You were everything to me. You were more than just my twin sister, Laurie, you were my best friend. You remember all the great times we had together, don't you? Who am I kidding. Of course you don't. You're dead.

I never wanted any of this to happen. It shouldn't have been you in that car crash. It should have been me. I deserve to be dead right now. Not you. And I never got the chance to say goodbye.

I'm so stupid, writing this and actually thinking you'll read it. Why am I even trying? I just want to be where you are, Laurie. If I could go back in time and change one thing it would be for me to be the one in that car. It would be to save you from that horrible fate and kill me instead.

I hope its not too long before I get to join you where you are. You will always be in my heart, Laurie.

Love you forever and ever,

Ellie.

I sighed and sealed the envelope. What was I even doing, writing a letter to my twin sister that I knew damn well was dead and not coming back.

"Eleanor?" I heard my mom softly knock on my door. What the hell was she doing at my bedroom door at 2 in the morning?

I huffed and walked over to my door, swinging it open and looking at my mom, who was standing with her bathrobe wrapped tightly around her. Her auburn hair was in a mess, and her eyes were half open. She had obviously just got out of bed.

I looked at her, raising an eyebrow expectantly.

"You need to go to bed, Ellie," she sighed. I shut the door, not listening to her. I didn't need to go to bed. I needed my sister back.

"You need to sleep eventually," she said, opening my door again as I looked out the window at the road below. I need to die and be with my sister again eventually. Maybe if I don't sleep I'll eventually die and be with her.

"You need to talk to me eventually too," she sighed. I hadn't spoken a word to her since she told me the dreadful news. In fact, I had only spoken to my dad since then, only to answer any questions he had asked me, even though he was rarely home. Neither of my parents were home a whole lot.

I once again ignored her and sat on my bed. She signed, giving up and slamming my door shut behind her.

~~~

I sat on the park bench, as I did every day since Laurie died. I put my headphones in and stared at the sidewalk in front of me.

I had been doing this since the day my mom told me I had lost Laurie. Every day people would walk by and either look at me in pity because they knew me and my parents in this small town or look at me weird because they had just recently moved in.

But there was one boy in particular that walked by everyday that I noticed. Well, he jogged by actually. Everyday at 9:18.

One day I sat in my usual spot on the park bench remembering what I had with Laurie, missing her and that boy that ran by every morning ran by, but stopped and ran backwards, standing in front of me. I looked up at him emotionlessly.

"Sorry to bother but... I run by and you sit in that same place every morning and you just look so miserable," he said to me.

Who gave you the right? I thought to myself. You know nothing about me or what I've been through. My twin sister died.

But I didn't say anything. I just stared up at him with a blank expression.

He nodded slowly. "Okay, well I hope you have a better day today." and he continued jogging.

Everyday after that he would stop and talk to me, being annoyingly persistent. And every day after that I would stare at him with the same blank, emotionless expression.

"The sun is nice today," he said to me 2 weeks after he had started.

"Why do you keep talking to me when you know that I'm ignoring you?" I asked, sounding extremely annoyed.

He looked a bit startled that I actually spoke and he looked at me for a minute, shocked while I sat and stared at him expectantly.

"I just-you just looked so lonely. I thought you needed a friend," he stammered.

"I don't need anyone," I snapped. "When you need people you end up losing them and I'm done losing people. So you can stop wasting your time talking to me."

"I don't want to stop," he said, sitting on the bench next to me. "I want to open you up and find out why you're so lonely."

"I don't open up to anyone, so you can stop wasting your time." And I stood and walked away.

Well guys I'm starting this Calum fan fic as well!! I won't be updating for a while though, although I'm considering doing irregular updates with all of my fan fics. But I'm not sure, feedback?

I love and wanna kiss you all!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx!!