Chapter 3.

Dear Laurie,

I don't know what to think anymore. I like Calum. He's nice and he makes me feel somewhat alive again. And I want to feel better again, even though you're not here. I want to be happy again.

But mom is being really mean about this whole thing. I don't understand why she's not understanding that Calum is bringing me what you took with you when you left--my happiness.

I don't care what she says. I'm seventeen years old, she can't control my life. I'll go out and see Calum if I want to, and there's nothing she can do to stop me. She says there's something about him but I'm not going to ask her. I'm not talking to her. Calum will tell me. It couldn't be that bad.

I wish you were here to help me through all of this, Laurie.

Love,

Ellie

I sat waiting for Calum on the bench at my usual spot. 9:18, right on the nose, he came and sat by me on the bench.

"Morning," he smiled at me as he sat down and I gave him a small smile in return.

"My mom got mad at me last night," I said quietly.

"How come?" Calum frowned in concern.

"She said... She said she didn't want me hanging around with you anymore. She acted like you did something horrible or something. You didn't, did you?"

"No, of course not," he said, shaking his head. "Why would she think I did something wrong?"

"Maybe she was thinking of the wrong person," I shrugged.

"What did you say?" he asked.

"Nothing."

"You didn't say anything to her?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"Why didn't you say anything to her?" he asked.

"I don't talk to anyone besides you and occasionally my dad," I said.

"Why not?" he questioned. "You have such a great personality, you should talk to people. Especially your mom."

"You don't understand," I shook my head. "My mom is mad at me for spending this long mourning over my sister. She wants me to get over it, it's like she doesn't even care that Laurie is dead." I felt my eyes beginning to sting.

"Hey, don't cry," he said, putting his arm around my shoulder. "You're not going to go through this forever. You'll be over it soon enough, I promise."

I took a deep breath, not letting my tears take over this time. I had to be strong. No more crying.

"I just don't understand what she thinks gives her the right to just act like the fact that she's over the whole thing that I can't mourn still." I shook my head, my tears going away as soon as they came.

"Its going to pass over eventually." Calum squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

"I just wish that I had my sister back." I sighed.

"I know," Calum said softly. "You should just try to talk to her. She probably wants to communicate with you still and is a bit hurt that you aren't."

"Are you kidding?" I scoffed. "Its about my mom. Its always about her. Even before Laurie died it was always what my mom wanted first."

"Maybe she grew up spolied and always had everything about her," he suggested. "I'm not making excuses or anything, but maybe you can't change how she is."