Snake Eyes {21}

The bell rang and I eagerly left my last class of the day. I was hanging out with Maxx afterschool today, and I was so excited.

                “Mark!”

                I jumped and turned to face an amused-looking Maxx. He was leaning against the wall. I went over to him and he wrapped his arms around me, kissing me deeply and lovingly.

                “You zone out so bad sometimes. I’m walking you to your locker so that we don’t have any…incidents,” he said, taking my hand in his.

                We began to walk down the halls towards my locker, Maxx on the lookout for Joey and Glen. I glanced at Maxx curiously.

                “Where’s Chandler?” I asked curiously.

                Maxx shrugged. “I told him I was walking you to your locker. He went to his. He’ll probably catch up to us or something. I think I’m bringing him home.”

                I frowned at Maxx. “Are you okay Maxx? You seem a little off,” I said with a deep frown.

                Maxx’s lips twitched into a smile and he leaned down and kissed me gently. “I’m fine baby. Just a little tired,” he assured.

                We arrived at my locker and I put in my combination. I pulled exchanged my books and shut my locker, turning back to Maxx. He took my hand again and we began to leave the hallway.

                Chandler appeared, nearly slamming into Maxx. He jumped back in surprise before smiling easily at Maxx. They shared a knowing look before we all began to walk again.

                “Am I bringing you home?” Maxx asked, his voice somewhat flat.

                Chandler shrugged and nodded. A grin spread on his face as he gave Maxx a knowing look. Maxx didn’t return it, and Chandler’s grin grew even wider.

                “Yea, bring me home. I have things to do,” he said and laughed a little.

                Maxx hit him in the arm and Chandler stopped laughing, the grin still on his face. We went outside and down to Maxx’s car. I got in the passenger seat and Chandler got in the back. Maxx pulled away from the school and sped towards Chandler’s house.

                He pulled into Chandler’s driveway. Mr. Martin, who was cleaning his car with Ariel, smiled and waved. Maxx and I waved back as Chandler got out of the car.

                “Remember Maxx, I’ll see you tonight,” Chandler said before shutting the door and going over to his dad, hugging his little sister when she basically launched into his arms giggling.

                “Why are you seeing Chandler tonight?” I asked, slightly suspicious. Maxx was acting so weird today. He was quieter. Troubled.

                “We’re just going to hang out and study. We have that test in math tomorrow, and if Chandler fails it, his parents will ground him and then he can’t come with us this weekend. I have to tutor him.” Maxx rolled his eyes and shrugged.

                I relaxed a little, knowing that they did have a test tomorrow and that Maxx had been trying to help Chandler during lunch today. And we had all planned to go out this weekend. It did make sense. I needed to just calm down and stop suspecting Maxx. He wasn’t going to do anything bad!