Snake Eyes {7}

When lunch came, I apologized to Shaw again for leaving him. He laughed and slapped me on the back with a grin.

                “Seriously, Mark. Don’t apologize. Just go be with your man,” he said with a wink before strolling over to a different lunch table and sitting down with a couple of kids he was friends with.

                I sighed and nervously made my way over to Maxx’s lunch table. Maxx looked up at me and grinned, patting the seat next to him.

                I sat down and his grin got wider. “Hi Mark,” he greeted. “Hi Maxx,” I said, suddenly feeling shy. No! Bad Mark! Be friendly for the sake of your feelings!

                Maxx turned to Chandler, who was across the table, and pointed at me. “Chandler, this is Mark Luce. I told him to sit here. Mark, this is Chandler. He’s my best friend, sadly,” Maxx introduced with a sigh.

                Chandler and Maxx shared a knowing look. I felt confused. What did they know? Huh? But then Chandler rolled his eyes and flipped Maxx off.

                “Shut up Maxx. Hey Mark. I’m Chandler. Obviously. Just ignore Maxx. He’s a dumbass. He should be grateful I’m his best friend. I know way better people,” he said and snickered.

                Maxx pouted and took a sip of Arnold Palmer before biting into the school pizza on the tray in front of him. He made a disgusted face as he swallowed it down.

                “Gross. One thing I didn’t miss about this school was its food,” he grumbled and drank more Arnold Palmer.

                Chandler snickered again and held up a brown bag. “Bring your lunch, bitch. Mark’s got the right idea,” he said and nodded at me as I pulled out my own bag lunch. I laughed a little and nodded as Maxx pouted.

                “Uh…you can have some of my lunch,” I said.

                “Thank you Mark. Maybe I’ll make you my best friend,” he said, and stuck his tongue out at Chandler. He paused thoughtfully before winking at me. “But then again, maybe I’ll make you more than that.”

                Wait, what? What did he mean he’d make me more? Like, a super duper best friend? Or a…boyfriend? What? Was he sick? Crazy? Gay? Desperate?

                There was no possible way that Maxx could like me, especially not this fast. Hell, we had just started talking! And we had only started talking because I was stupid enough to walk into a freaking door!

                Aw man, this was confusing me and giving me a headache. Did Maxx like me? Why did he like me, if he did? I was nothing special. Just a boy who walked in to things, had a crazy grandpa, and barely had any friends because I was gay. There was nothing special about me. I wasn’t sexy and easy to talk to. I was nervous and shy and just…ugh. I was just Mark.

                I jumped a little when someone snapped in my face. My head whipped around in confusion and Maxx coughed to disguise a laugh as he pulled his fingers away from my face. I nearly groaned. Not again. Dammit!

                “Sorry about that Mark, but you zoned out on me. What I said was, do you want to hang out with me and Chandler after school?” he asked.

                I felt myself blushing and nodded at him. “Uh, sure!” I said.

                Maxx smirked and reached his hand at me. I flinched back a little and he paused before gently brushing my hair out of my eyes.