Snake Eyes {4}

“So, today?” I asked Shaw as I went up to him in school the next day. Shaw smirked and nodded at me. I sighed miserably.

                “Fine,” I grumbled as the bell rang. We went up to first period together. My heart was slamming wildly already, and I didn’t see Maxx until third period. I wanted to talk to him, but I was also terrified, especially after nearly running into the door yesterday.

                “Hey, Mark, the bell rang,” Shaw said, shaking my and rolling his eyes. Shit! I did it again! I had to stop zoning out before I made an even bigger fool of myself!

                I got up and followed Shaw out into the hall, cautiously looking out for Maxx. I would run and hide if I saw him. Psh. And Shaw said I wasn’t manly!

                “Can we…can we wait until lunch to talk to him Shaw? I’d rather not talk to him in the room where I embarrassed myself,” I said with a sigh, trying to buy myself more time.

                Shaw, oblivious to my genius plan, nodded and laughed at me. “Sure Mark!” he said and waved as he turned and entered class. I hurried onto my class and sat down, my mind wandering off as it so often did.

                The period ended and I groaned to myself as I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder. I so did not want to go back to study hall to have Maxx laugh at me. Maybe he only had it every other day…

                But of course, as soon as Shaw and I entered the room, my eyes locked on Maxx as he talked to the same kid as yesterday.

                Not wanting him to see me and laugh, I hurried to the back of the room and sat down. Trying not to laugh, Shaw followed me.

                “Who is that kid that Maxx is talking to?” I asked, the curiosity killing me. I knew I recognized that kid, I just couldn’t think of his name. It was bothering me. It was one of those things where it was on the tip of my tongue.

                “Chandler. That’s Chandler Martin,” Shaw said after glancing at him.

                “Oh yea!” I said and face palmed myself. That’s why he looked so familiar! I had had a few classes with him in the past, and he was, or had been, Maxx’s best friend. He was also a lot of trouble in school.

                “You’re definitely talking to him during lunch. Got it Mark?” Shaw said sternly. I nodded and sighed, really not wanting to. God, he must think I was such a moron.

                “Cheer up Mark! You never know; he could wind up liking you,” Shaw said with a wink. I blushed but shook my head. He never would, but I guess it was worth a shot.

                The bell rang sometime later and I grabbed Shaw and held him down until Maxx and Chandler had left the classroom before letting go of him. He rolled his eyes and we stood up and left the classroom together.

                Shaw smirked at me as we made our way to fourth period. “Fifth period lunch Mark. Time is a ticking!” he said joyfully. I rolled my eyes, but my heart was hammering hard inside my chest.

                The only person I had ever crushed on, and I was finally going to talk to him. This could easily end in a terrible disaster, especially with my luck.

                He had been gone for two years and of course when he comes back, I zone out and make a complete fool of myself.

                We sat down in the classroom and watched as a substitute teacher entered the room. “Free period,” Shaw whispered to me with a grin.