III- A world lost

One week later and apparently I am advised that I am to wait in the palace, thanks to my ministers forcing me to stay in my castle, to not to go to the war.

Why can't I lead my army? A ruler must be willing to sacrifice herself for the good of the kingdom, mustn't she? Defending my citizens comes first! That's what I told them.

But instead they say my safety is their concern and having my sister being Crown Princess and the army's general meant quite enough. To allow a royal in such a perilous position seems to be the limit of my ministers' concerns.

Being a queen, we hold the highest power on social grounds, with the queen's ministers and government being just below, and they are there to look out for the Queen, act with her best accords and manage the money for everything else. As usual.

They advised that, since I am still naive in standards of being an active ruler, we tend to take everything personally, in their words. While I can't say it was strictly true, I did take my role seriously and to heart.

But eventually I swayed them and now I'm atop of my horse with the colours of yellow and purple waving in the air around us. If I can't fight for who I protect, then what's the point?

As we ride towards the Northern Troops at the edge of the Everfield that lays northeast of the castle, I ride closer to my sister. "Are we to expect them to fight us in their dosed state?" I put on a matronly voice.

My sister replies with the same tone, "My queen, you know they are. At any rate, they are gonna fight us fast paced while experiencing difficulties with their...consciences." The Northern's common use of the specialized mountain plant-alcohol messes with their senses so much, they can experience the hangover at anytime, from the next day to months later. Must like a sudden mood swing, for us non-consumers of the mountain plant.

I nodded as we focus our gaze at the slowly growing army of the Northern Troops. From what I can see, they carry their weapons soberly but their formation and the looks on their faces- bare without helmets- look dazedly and sluggish. But they can just as easily snap back to think soberly for just a few precious seconds to fight back if a perpetrator comes. In this case, us. A little loutish, I suppose.

As we reached the edge of the start of the Everfield, we slow to a halt as Delaney shouts her warning, "Beware, Northern. You shall not go further into our territory! Go any further, you would've declared war."

I give a low sigh as I hear her courage and fearlessness. It's another thing she earns throughout her training. Selfless courage. Strength of fearlessness.

The Troops didn't reply, but they grunted and yelled war cries, running towards us. Fools.

Delaney charged as her bravery pushes us all forward, heading straight first into danger.

I watched as our army of purple and yellow infiltrated the Northern Troops of ice and green. Although we knew the battle will come a week prior, Delaney has done quite a good job of preparing them since we were alerted quite late, I suppose.

As we clashed, swords sliced the air and shields slam into each other. Punches and screams can be heard. I can hear Delaney screaming her orders, fighting the Northern.

I jump off my horse as I pull out my sword and start knocking Northern soldiers out of their consciousness. They may be a dazed bunch of allies but allies nevertheless.

I started moving fluidly, hitting and kicking a series of movement to put them out of commotions. I could see a third of their army is knocked out. The feeling of accomplishment starts to grow in me, adrenaline rushing through my heart as being on the battlefield-

A soldier of ours calls in fear as he pushes me down while a Troop fighter launches several flaming arrows that landed near me.

My eyes widen as I watch the battle get more violent, waves of arrows are drawn against each side and clashes of sword vibrate through the air.

"Your Highness! Are you alright?"

I wanted to reply but he pushes me on top a horse and he commands him -the horse- to carry me to who knows where and he rides behind me, going to the very edge of the back of the army and disposing me a medical tent that we had set up earlier.

I remain confused and unaware at their alertness for me to be out of harm's way when I suddenly remembered, "My sister?! Where's my sister?!" I look at the soldier that brought me here, "Soldier? Where's your general?" I growl, stating every word clearly.

"At the front line."

I was at the front line. I realize what danger my sister can go through, and I shout as I watched the waves of arrows being released, armies on each side lose some of their soldiers. Weapons fly and war cries echo across the plains. It's no longer just shaking them awake from their daze- they are going into a full-fledged war.

But I see a small flitting figure with long dark hair stabbing and dodging her way around swiftly and effortlessly, her movement sharp and quick, stabbing the Northern and swinging her sword to push them down. I sigh in relief as Delaney is still alright.

I start to get on the back of the horse as I feel the urge to get back in there, but the soldier who saved my life stopped me first, "My queen! Are you going back in there?" He shouts, the war cries drowning his words as he stood in front of my horse.

I shouted a yes.

"But my queen! Are you hurt? Are you okay-"

"Listen to me! I am fine, and as your queen, you can't stop me." I hate using that line but I had to. I want to prove my worth. I need to protect my family. I need to protect my people. I need to protect her.

I needed to fight.

As I turn to see the current situation of the war, I scream a heart wrenching sob.

If only the war had been averted.