Chapter 7 - A Question

Ancient language, speak through fingers

the awful edges where you end and I begin

inside your mouth I cannot see -

there's catastrophe in everything I'm touching

as I sweat I crush you.

And I hold your beating chambers until they beat no more

you die like angels sing...

The Horror of our Love -  Ludo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a surprise that Theodore was even in the ring, but there he stood, tall and proud, a bandaid over his nose. Annabelle was nowhere to be seen.

He was broadly muscled, similar to Dorian, but even more extreme. Al looked tiny in comparison.

They nodded at each other and Theodore spoke in a language I had never heard before.

"Leith-hamabem Mohanol" it sounded mystical, I liked it. Especially in Theodore- Ted's deep voice.

"Naumi Behefur!" Al snarled, the crowd gasped, and then laughed. Ted snarled, clearly offended.

The bell rang and it started.

Al's right side twitched and his knees snapped back. He gave a small, pained yelp and his torso jolted to the left. I could see him elongate, his legs and arms thin and stretch. There was a bony snap and his face lengthened, while his ears pulled back. His hair shot into his head and his hips broadened to acomondate the backward bent wolf legs. I watched as he fell forward, so he was just leaning on his front legs. Long claws scratched the cement floor. He was massive, with stubble-like fur covering his whole body. He looked like a nightmare on legs.

Slowly he lifted his head and snarled. His teeth were long and sharp. Now I knew why they had looked like thin dog-wolves from afar- there was still a lot of human. I felt more scared than I had ever been before.

And then I saw Ted, towering above Al. He was at least a half meter taller, and muscled as if on steroids. It looked terrifying and... wrong.

 Al shook his head and stumbled a little backward. The brute stepped forward, and I had a sinking feeling I would not have a partner for much longer. Ted looked like he could fit Al's head in his mouth.

Ted snarled and reared up on his hind legs, the crowd  was loud above them. Al backed up more toward the exit. It looked like his bravado was all gone.

But as Ted charged him Al sprinted forward, and with a snarl ducked under the larger wolf, grabbed his back leg and kept going. Ted let out a yelp as his tendons were torn to shreds, he fell, and I could see the anger on his long face. He swivelled around and tried to bite Al, but Al was too fast. He evaded the large jaws and let out a high pitched snarl as he lunged for Ted's throat.

Just like that it was over.

There was a loud warning whistle and Al paused for a split second, enough for someone above to lasso him around his neck and yank him to the side, and away from Ted. Al cried out angrily, trying to struggle out of the hold. He had paused out of habit, forgetting what his goal was. And now he wanted to tear Ted's throat even more.

I scrambled away from the door.

"AND THE WINNER IS ALEXANDER EZRA, IN A VERY IMPRESSIVE 78 SECONDS!"

Al was yanked back to the doorway as Ted was taken to the opposite side. As he disappeared Al howled and snarled angrily. The lasso loosened and he jolted forward.