Chapter 6 - Shy

How come I end up where I started?

How come I end up where I went wrong?

I won't take my eyes off the ball again

First you reel me out and then you cut the string

15 Step - Radiohead

---------------------------------------------------------

"Sophie, I'm going to the pit early" said Al as we left the Sanatorium.

Dorian was allowed to leave in an hour when Magdalena would collect him, but he had told us not to wait. Al had left in a hurry and I wondered if he had visited the Sanatorium often himself. That place was the only thing that I knew of that made him seem nervous.

"Oh, now?" I asked, a little disappointed. I had been wanting to go grab lunch, not go back to that place. The idea of the dark room on the way there scared me.

Al was irritated though, and I was not sure if I would get anything out of arguing. So I kept quiet. Some day I should know him well enough to contradict him, but not this day. This day I was still a coward. Al ran his hands through his hair and walked to the cupboard.

To my surprise he pulled out a kettle. I had not seen it before, which was odd since I had looked everywhere in the cupboards. Al started to make tea.

"No, we'll go around three, we'll have tea first, I like having my tea." He took two cups out and put them on the desk.

"Okay" I sat down on the bed and watched him. He was so relaxed that I started to get a more positive outlook- except for the nagging reminder that he was practically planning murder.

"Here" Al said after a while, passing me a mug, "careful, it's hot"

I took it from his hands. He blew on his own tea, staring at me over it. I took a careful sip.

It was earl grey, my favourite tea, with just the right sugar. Not quite what I would have expected from Al, but great nevertheless. He started to sip his as well.

"Thank you" I said. smiling. Al shook his head.

"No, it's a pleasure, for earlier, the whole stupid Theodore Lute thing. I shouldn't have done that. Normally I keep the fighting in the ring, when I at least have an excuse for it." He turned his head a little to the side, as if he was embarrassed.

"Oh, right" so this is how he apologized. I liked it.

"Well anyway" he put his mug down and made his way toward me. I watched him wearily but did not move away.

"All I need is for you to stand at my gate and make sure I'm okay. If I fall you carry me out. Let me just tell you one thing- I have never lost." he smirked arrogantly.

"If you say so" I teased and Al cocked his head to the side, his lip twitching. He looked like he wanted to smile.

"Sophie, can I ask you some things?" he asked, sitting down at my side, "you don't have to answer."

"Oh, sure" I looked into the mug.

"Did you like the tea?" I nodded.

"Do you need anything else?" I shook my head.

"Am I good enough?" I gave him a quizzical look.

"I'm sure you're a good fighter. I mean, you can change back fast and you've never lost." I shrugged. Al frowned at me.

"I meant- never mind. Do you like music? I like to have music playing. I like to dance." He said it as if he was asking for permission. He didn't really look the type to dance around the room. I wanted to see that.