Introduction

There was a time, long ago, when the Wolves could live among the humans.

The changers I mean, not the normal animals. Once bitten they changed into Wolf form on the full moon, or if challenged. It was only men for some reason, women were not affected by a bite. However that did not mean that they could not be mauled to death. There was nothing sweet about a Wolf once he had changed. It was a cursed beast, eager to take out its hate on anything close.

The Wolves were weeded out slowly once the humans noticed what they were. It became impossible to co-exist and the Wolves lived in hiding since there were only few. They hid very well, lying in the shadows, taking the occasional victim.

Height was such a hiding place, and it became a school for the young Wolves.

They learned how to hide so they could join with humans again.

Soon there were schools like Height all over the world, hidden from view, bringing on young Wolves to live among humans. But that meant a bunch of angry, vicious and dangerous teens bundled up in small spaces. It became competitive, and the Pit Competitions were started so they would stop killing each other in the halls.

The Pit Competitions were a joke, a copy of bear fighting, or dog fighting, mainly a way to gamble for the younger Wolves. They would fight each other, even to the death.

It became popular very quickly.

Soon people with a lot of money started to invest in the Competitions, and they grew. A Wolf could make a very large sum of money being at the top of the ranks, but had to fight for its life, literally, to stay there.

Alexander Ezra was a fighter. Sure, he was still at school level, but he was good, very good, and sponsors were starting to notice. He wanted to get to the top, show the world he was better than them, stronger, smarter.

Hundreds of others had the same desire.

He needed me, or he would have no hope of getting to his goal.

I was one of the human Partners; I was to be his anchor. Al and I shared a connection I knew nothing about.

I was taken to Height, oblivious of his world, and forced into it, fearing for my life.

Al was mine, the hot headed, violent, loyal, gorgeous and greedy Wolf.

He taught me to live.