A Proscriptive Relationship: 15

Mr. Heywood pulled into my drive way and drove all the way to the top of it. When he stopped the car he looked over at me.

"Is your mom home yet?"

"Not yet. Her car isn't in the drive way," I told him, unbuckling my seat.

"You're welcome to come back to my house and I can bring you back later," Mr. Heywood told me. "I don't mind."

My first instinct was to say yes, but I bit my tongue to stay quiet. Spending the night at Mr. Heywood's was enough. I wasn't sure how much longer I could stay with Mr. Heywood before I fell for him more than I already was.

"It's day time now, so I'll be okay. She'll probably be home soon anyway," I explained, turning to face him. "Thanks for the ride."

"Anytime," Mr. Heywood responded.

I reached out to grab the door handle when I felt a hand at my arm. I turned around to see Mr. Heywood staring at me curiously.

"What?" I asked, raising a hand to my face subconsciously.

"Huh? Oh." He let go of my arm. "Nothing. Never mind. See you later."

"Okay..."

I turned back around to open the door when something coming out of the front door caught my attention.

"Oh no."

I turned to Mr. Heywood, who was smirking. He glanced over at me and let out a laugh.

"Have fun."

My plan was to quickly get out of the car and have Mr. Heywood leave as soon as possible. When he started rolling down the windows, I stared at him in horror.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, reaching over and trying to shove his hand away from the window control.

He shoved my hand away and stuck his head out the window. He honked the horn before shouting, "Hey, Lance!"

Lance looked up from his head down position on my front steps. He looked at the car for a minute in confusion, then his expression turned to shock, and then into suspicion. Finally he narrowed his eyes at me.

"You are such a jerk," I muttered, narrowing my eyes at Mr. Heywood.

"I know," he responded with a smirk. "Now get out of my car."

I heaved a heavy and irritated sigh before reaching for the door handle. I winged it open and slammed it as hard as I could. I smirked a little to myself when I glanced back and out of the corner of my eye saw Mr. Heywood with an annoyed expression.

Suddenly the car horn blasted and I jumped, nearly slipping on the gravel on the driveway. I turned back, my face flushed with embarrassment.

Mr. Heywood gestured with his hand for me to come over to his side. I obeyed, only the slight bit reluctant.

He rolled down his window and I stuck my head into it, looking up at Lance warily.

"What?"

"Be careful."

I rolled my eyes and looked over to give him a sarcastic look when I came face to face with Mr. Heywood's serious expression. I blanked for a second, surprised by the intensity of it. All remarks in my head were gone.

Why did he look so serious all of a sudden? For some reason, it made me feel uneasy. But soon Mr. Heywood's face turned into a smirk.

"Aw, you look all worried now."

"Who wouldn't?" I demanded angrily, pulling my head back out of the window. "See you later, Mr. Heywood."

"Holly, wait!"