The Phoenix

"Are you sure that this is a good idea, Arthur?" Merlin asked, bringing his horse up next to Arthur.

"One of your funny feelings again, Merlin?" Arthur snorted, smirking. 

"Well...yes," Merlin mumbled, before speaking up again. "We are going into Cenred's Kingdom after all."

"Merlin, stop worrying," Lancelot spoke up from the back, causing everyone to turn to him. "First of all, it's no longer Cenred's Kingdom, it's Damion's Kingdom. Second, it has been at peace ever since Cenred's brother took charge."

"Yes, I know," Merlin huffed, before sitting back in his saddle. "Still, I don't-"

"Oh, quit worrying, Merlin," Gwaine cut in, riding up to Merlin's other side. "We're almost to the castle anyways."

Just as Gwaine said that, King Damian, his servant Ian, and a few of his knights rode up to them, Damian wearing a grim look on his face.

"King Arthur, I am extremely relieved that you have accepted our request to come," Damian said, nodding at Arthur. "We have been attacked multiple times by a deadly creature."

Arthur's smile faded as Merlin whispered "I told you so." 

"What is this creature?" Arthur asked worriedly.   

A loud screech made everyone flinch and cover their ears. Their horses whinnied and reared back, throwing their riders off of them. Everyone watched in dismay as their horses fled off into the woods. The townspeople that were moving about around them dropped whatever they were doing, and ran off, screaming in terror. A beautiful, yet terrifyingly large bird flew through the air, screeching its head off. 

"THAT!" Damian yelled, pointing up at the bird.

"WHAT'S SO SCARY ABOUT THAT?" Arthur yelled back. "I MEAN, EXCEPT FOR ITS SCREECHING!"

"ARTHUR!" Merlin shouted, his eyes wide. "IT'S A PHOENIX!"

The phoenix's screeching grew louder and everyone winced in agony. 

"A WHAT?!?" Arthur tried to yell, but it fell on deaf ears. 

The phoenix suddenly stopped screeching, causing everyone to sigh in relief and remove their hands.

"Now, Merlin," Arthur began, turning towards Merlin. "What were you-?"

"LOOK OUT!" Damion suddenly shouted. 

Just as Arthur was about to speak, the phoenix reared back and breathed fire at them. With a nod to each other, Merlin and Mordred stepped forward and held up their hands, creating an invisible force field that stopped the fire right in its tracks. The phoenix screeched one last time before flying away until no one could see it again. 

"Bloody Hell!" Arthur finally cried out. "That bird was on fire!"

"Of course it was, you prat," Merlin said, face palming. "It's a phoenix. It's supposed to be on fire."

"I knew that," Arthur mumbled, looking down in embarrassment. 

"Merlin, I presume?" Damion asked, earning a nod from Merlin. "Do you have any idea how we could defeat this creature?"

"I...have no idea," Merlin shrugged unhelpfully.

"You need to drench it with a lot of water, then you need to stab it with a sword that was forged in a dragon's breath," Gwaine suddenly piped up, earning a smile from the ones from Damion's Kingdom. 

"How do you know?" Elyan asked, suspiciously. 

"I read a book," Gwaine shrugged. 

Everyone from Camelot looked at the long haired knight with disbelief, which he just shrugged off. 

"Okay, I think I have a plan," Ian finally spoke up, earning a nod from Damian. "We need to lead the phoenix to the lake behind the castle-"

"Since when was there a lake behind the castle?" Lancelot interrupted. 

"We just decided to make one," Ian shrugged before continuing. "Anyway, as I was saying, we'll lead the phoenix to the lake and shoot it down so its flames can be extinguished. However, we will need a sword that was forged in a dragon's breath."

"I have one!" Arthur exclaimed, holding up Excalibur. 

Seeing Ian's shocked look, shrugged his shoulders and gave him a look that said "I'll explain later."

"Okay, let's put this plan into motion," Ian said, earning a nod from everyone. 

***

"NOW!" Damion yelled. 

The phoenix had fallen for the trap and now it was lying on the ground, screeching painfully and softly. Arthur felt pity on the creature, but he knew that if he didn't kill it, then it would just continue to destroy villages. Arthur sighed and thrust his sword into the creature's belly. The phoenix screeched in pain before disappearing in a white light. In its place lay an egg that was orange and yellow. Merlin ran forward and picked it up, holding it close to his chest. 

"Is that a phoenix egg?" Leon asked, earning a nod from Merlin.

"What are you going to do with it?" Arthur asked. 

"You'll see," Merlin grinned.

A week later...

"AITHA! COME HERE!"  

The baby phoenix cawed at Merlin before flying off towards Arthur's chambers. Merlin sighed before running after her. His speed increased when he heard Arthur yell.

"MERLIN! GET AITHA OUT OF HERE!" 

Merlin threw Arthur's door open to see Gwen and Nila laughing at Arthur, who was sitting on the floor, Aitha cawing happily while sitting next to Arthur.

"Sorry, Arthur," Merlin chuckled. "Come on, Aitha."

Aitha cawed at Arthur one last time before following Merlin into the hallway. 

"I can not believe that idiot kept that phoenix egg," Arthur mumbled to himself as he stood up and tried to regain his pride. 

This just caused Gwen to roll her eyes and made Nila giggle.