The Valley in the Shadow of Death

I awoke someplace. A dismal place. It was dark, very dark. I was scared, very scared. I looked here, I looked there. He told me not to fear. I looked there, I looked here...at you. I realized I am on a plane returning from Comic Con and back to my simple life. But then the plane turns into a dragon and birds are flying all around and making me laugh. But then I realize that when I open my eyes I am grounded to this plane and all the reality taken with it. I can't defy the odds, I can't do intense parkour like my brother Alexander, but again he had imagination too. I dream Miglen and the King Dragon travel through the first part of the valley, and am greeted to a barren landscape dominated by ominous clouds. But that was a dream as well.

The plane landed and I was back in the small Louisiana town I love so much. I wanted to go back to fantasyland, which I think I'll do tonight. But my friends are coming over. I'll call them all and tell them to stay. I want company and only their company. I've been alone long enough, from my loud hotel room to my dismal booth at the happy and live Comic Con. Where did all the fun go? The day I turned twenty, that's where it went.

When I returned home to the metropolis everybody calls "Serpentrust", my friend Carter Jones greeted me.

"Hey!" I said from across the room.

He turned and saw me and raised a hand to wave.

"Where have you been?" he asked when I reached him.

"Uh...away." I said, obviously lying.

"You ready for that party tonight?" he asked.

"You know it." I said.

That 'party' is Carter's way of welcoming me home. In the car we talked while music was booming in the background. We talked about my worthless trip and how I met a woman named Renee. She raped me.

"She raped you?" Carter repeated, on the verge of a laugh.

"Yeah, she tricked me into buying her a drink, then she bought me one and I took it. Next thing I knew I was on a bed with silky red covers. My arms were chained – "

"Your arms were chained?" Carter interrupted.

"Carter, can you come back to Earth?" I said.

We arrived at my place in a little under an hour. I was ready to get out of my suit and into the bed for a long overdue nap. I opened to door and–

"SURPRISE!!"

I dropped my keys as I saw my friends all shouting happily. I was frozen!

Carter patted me on the shoulder, "This is for ditching us."

"Wh-what?"

Kiera, one of my friends, asked me, "Where've you been?"

"I've been...away." I said as I proceeded to the table. I threw off my jacket and took a glass full of wine. It was great to taste something with flavor.

"I've been away, I cant tell you where but I'm as glad as heck to be back."

Kiera clapped happily, "Yay! I've missed you. Eric and I have something for you!"

"Glad to have you back." Carter said as he held up his glass.

I held up mine and said, "no place like home." And the party began.

#

Everything is blurry, red and...blurry. The marble tile floor reflected red light. Why am I on the floor? I looked around with my eyes and saw Kiera on the floor, her eyes closed. I couldn't feel my legs or hear anything. I used the strength in my arms to crawl to her.