Devil Inside

Eren let his lips curl into a freakish smile, looking down at the other man like he was the hunter to his prey. The glint in his cerulean eyes said it all, that glint that represented his cunning slyness, the glint that represented his thirst for blood.

With a tug on his leather jacket, he placed his boot on the man's forehead, the dirt rubbing off to create a print on the blemished skin. The knife twirled in his hand, the metal shining under the moonlight. He looked down, ready to speak with only flesh on his mind.

'Anything to say for yourself?' He spat, digging his boot harder into the skin, tearing it at the hairline. It was Eren's speciality, his words caused fear more than the blade he kept by his side. He used his words as weapons. There was no need to cut skin if you cut the heart. Words were sharper than knives.

The man trembled, his muscles clenching and his heart pounding like a drum underwater. 'I'll take that as a no.' Eren brought the knife down and carved the man's heart from his chest like a carver to his wood. He smiled wholly as his teeth stained red and his skin blemished. This was his calling, he thought. This was what he was born to do. Not all men are born to do good. Some are born to be bad. Sometimes it's needed. Good only exists by evil. Without evil, good is chaos. Good becomes evil. Without balance, there is a paradox.

Eren took pride in that paradox. He had the knowledge that his skills created good, even if he himself was damned. Although, Eren has never had a crucial religious belief. You could say that the paradox was his religion. It could be counted. What was a religion anyway? An organisation which worships with devotion? Eren could say he had that. Then again, that would make far more religions than actually existed.

Eren called himself an atheist. It was hard, though, when he worshipped the devil. He wasn't a believer in Satan. That corresponded to a god, a god which he did not believe in, a God that was not on his side. He was, in fact, a believer in true evil. He believed in sin and he believed that he was ruled by it. Or rather, he.

Eren looked down at the man whose heart lay limp in a pool of his blood. It made a pretty painting. Eren laughed and looked down at the man. 'Killed for nothing. Didn't commit a damn sin in his life.' He looked down at the heart of a priest.

Eren would deny that he was a psychopath. And, he was right in doing so. Psychopaths think what they're doing is right. Eren was different, he knew it was wrong.

He loved it.

It makes one wonder. If he believes in a balance, that there is good in evil, what is he? A paradox? Because there is no good in Eren. But if the world must have a balance then why doesn't he? It really does make one wonder, how did the other half die?

-

The glint in Levi's silver eyes spoke a thousand words. The blossoming trees encased themselves in flames and danced in the red and orange paint. The lighter flickered in his hand as he rolled and rolled it. An eternal flame. Until he got too tired, at least.

His pride had come too far. He wasn't worthy of such power. As the flames licked at the bark, he watched his power taking form. This is where his pride got him. He refused the devil and now he watched as he became it.

He would never be an incarnation of evil, no, that was reserved for him but he could sure as hell say he was not a man of good. Levi was a man fed on nothing- poor, alone and vulnerable- and, in turn, survived on his pride. He wouldn't be controlled, he was in control. He didn't beg, he didn't barter. He survived. Even if it meant destroying a few beautiful things along the way.

The trees burnt and the yard turned to ash. It was his mother's garden. His garden until he was ten. A small little thing it was. Nothing bigger than a bedroom and, in the bottom left-hand corner, stood a tree. Now nothing more than compost for the soil. This was someone else's garden now, they would be back any moment. So, kicking away the rubble of flowers ripped from the ground and the splinters than escaped the flames, he traipsed away. It was a quick process. These houses never were all that protected. It's what you get for buying a cheap house in a rough neighbourhood. But, his family- well, just him and his mother- could afford no better.