Chapter 9- The Fight

Upload 9

Niall's POV

"Evanna?! Ni?!"

Oh God.

"Oh hey guys."

I tried to make my voice sound calm, like I wasn't pissed off with them- Harry and Louis- for interrupting me when I could have sworn I'd been about to kiss the beautiful girl behind me. I knew it wasn’t their fault. I also tried to stop the nervous shaking in my hands as I waved at them. But I could tell they knew exactly what they'd walked in on by the guilty looks on their faces.

"So...didn't expect to see you two here." Louis said, awkwardly shuffling his feet.

Leaning on the door frame of the firefly building I forced a toothy grin onto my face, flashing them my braces,.

“I could say the same thing about you two! What, are you on a date?” I teased. Their eyes widened at the same time and they looked at each other before starting to laugh, but I noticed that they subtly moved away from each other.

“Of course, Nialler.” Harry answered sarcastically, winking and breaking the tension slightly, “The real question is, are you on a date?”

This made me tense. Why did he have to ask that?

“Wha-? No!” I cried, not knowing if that was strictly true…To be honest, I really wished this was a date. An official one where I had had the guts to tell Evanna the truth about my feelings, and asked her to go somewhere with me, instead of lying…“Look, erm, I’ll see you later?”

“Sure. Movie night round Liam’s house yeah?” Harry replied, smiling genuinely now.

“Hey Niall, Lots of scary movies for you and me to scream at!” Louis joked, knowing I hated horror movies as much as he did because the boys all laughed at us while we hugged each other and squealed like little girls. Putting his arm around Harry’s shoulders he tugged, “Come on then Haz, let’s leave our Nialler to his ‘not date’ with the lovely Van.”

I watched them walk off, and saw Louis turn to whisper something into Harry’s ear, disturbing his curls. Then they both laughed. Those boys were so confusing sometimes, no-one could work out what was going on inside their heads. Sighing I looked back at Evanna to see her face had turned the same colour as her red lipstick as she bit her lip and stared at the ground. I reached out to put my hand on her arm and reassure her that Lou and Harry would be fine with everything, but she shook me off then met my eyes with....what I think was regret. Regret for our almost kiss? Or for this whole day? I wasn't going to pretend that didn't hurt.

“Get off me, Niall.” She snapped. It felt like she’d slapped me in the face, in fact, I would have preferred it if that’s what she’d done. Why was she annoyed, what had I done?

“Evie? What’s wrong?” I asked in an alarmed voice. She had walked deeper into the dark room where I couldn’t see her, so I closed the door and followed her, letting my eyes adjust to the dark. Putting my arms on her shoulders and spinning her around to face me, I saw something I wasn’t prepared for.

She was crying.

“Evie…” I whispered carefully. Her head was bowed and she was attempting to hide her tears from me but by the golden light of the fireflies I saw the drops of salt water drip off her chin and onto the concrete floor.

“It’s nothing. It’s stupid, you’ll laugh at me.” She said quietly, her voice breaking multiple times. She hugged herself and tried to turn away but I wouldn’t let her, instead gently taking her chin with one of my hands and guiding it to face me while the other brushed the damp blond hair from her face.