Chapter eleven- Lion heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I showered and dressed in preparation for tonight. Brushing my teeth rhythmically and careful to wait before sipping orange juice out of the carton, hesitant as I hated the sting of mouthwash and the bitter juice.

 I was actually quite excited The Bensons and all of Monty’s family were going to be there. I was just putting on my freshly ironed Dumbledore boxers (don’t judge ironed underwear feels new and crisp!) When my phone vibrated off the table indicating that I had a text message and that my phone was probably broken now… The text surprised me- I know I should have been expecting a text from Robyn about tonight but I swore this morning she told technology repelled her, so much so she would rather come to visit me to inform me of Monty’s dinner than simply text me. I think it was an excuse for her to see me…I think it was, I hope it was- NO, in fact I know it was.

I memorised the address and then Google mapped the directions. I threaded  suit trousers on and a white shirt,  the skinny tie somewhat strangled me so I yanked it down slightly before glancing nervously in the mirror- I had dressed to impress like Robyn had requested, I looked sharp…I hoped.

I drove through the winding roads I had become familiar with over the past few weeks and located a bold town house-   17 Ingles road. I shut the engine off and its roar died out as I parked it. Then I attempted to smooth my hair back, it sort of flicked stupidly at my ears, I reckon I need a haircut soon.

Just as I raised my fist to knock on the hard wood, the door sprung open, I stumbled slightly. A tall man dominated the porch; He smiled down at me from the doorway shielding the light and warmth of the rooms behind him. I had assuming he was Monty’s father from their similar features.

“Hello” I said, looking into his eyes.

A sharp nose, thin lips but exaggeratedly wide cheeks. Monty however was always clean shaven, though they had strikingly similar eyes that glowed knowingly underneath brooding and pointed eyebrows.  I had probably been staring at the man I forced myself to smile. Rearranging my expression from analytical to ‘human friendly’   smiled slightly, relaxed my shoulders and crinkled my eye seeming at ease. I shook his hand and pushed the odd feeling of familiarity behind me- I had only sensed recognition because he looked so similar to Monty .

“You must be David’s mate, right?” 

David?! Who the….oh I had honestly momentarily forgotten that Monty was just a nickname!

“Yeah, I’m Xion, nice to meet you” I said stepping into the threshold of the inviting aura of the house, following behind him.

“Call me Andrew” he returned squaring his shoulders and heading off further down the corridor

“Oh and they’re all upstairs, follow the noise! Tell them dinner will be ready soon Xion.” Andrew’s Voice was boomed back to me followed by his faraway laugh in return to what I suppose someone had said in the kitchen far below me now.

I jumped up the oak panelled stairs and softly knocked on the door that was slightly ajar as I could hear Monty’s distinct voice. I entered after my reply of non-comitial grunts to welcome me into to what supposedly was Monty’s room.

The room was spacious and quite barely filled the messiest part was the desk in the far corner which was cluttered with essay papers .The largest wall was surrounded by blurred pictures and was adjacent to the massive bed with neatly laid cotton blue sheets lay, as I has presumed Benson was sprawled across it, his limbs looked as though they would be distinctly uncomfortable but I knew otherwise as I heard Benson mutter unintelligibly about goats mingled with his guttural snores.  the floor was wooden , the same fine oak as the staircase and a low glow hung in the room from the lamp propped on his bedside table as it was precariously balanced with various history textbooks from uni which I knew Monty and Benson attended together in London except Benson studied chemistry.