Discoveries

The song to the right has nothing to do with the story, but I love the song. Hope you enjoy the chapter!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up to see Salutem staring at me. "Ah!"I screamed and flailed about. He smiled and calmly pinned my arms down until I settled. Dator shoved her face right into mine. "Good morning, Xander,"she cheerfully said. A strangled crow cry called my attention from above. There was Mortem, shedding feathers and squawking painfully. "What's wrong with him?"I asked. "He has enough power, with you here of course, to finally heal and resume his human form."  "Wait, he was human?!" Dator smiled sadly and gravely explained,"His normal form is in the shape of a human. But he got injured, and then Hunt died so he didn't have enough power to heal himself fully or resume his human form. But now Hunt has returned to us and he can heal himself."  But something kept nagging at the back of my head. I pondered it and pondered it until I realized what it was. "Aren't you, Salutem, and you,Mortem, supposed to be watching over the village. And why now do I say your names all the time?!" Dator sat down beside me and looked me in the eye. "Xander. You've been asleep for nearly five days. The village has been destroyed." Tears flowed into my eyes and down my cheeks as I recollect all the good times I've had there. It had been my whole life. Now it was gone. "Salutem and Mortem are here because you were close to Death and you needed healing. Mortem had to be here, otherwise he would have taken your soul again and I don't think I could handle that again. I had to feed you little bits of life, and Salutem had to speak healing words over you,"Dator explained calmly. "But they were supposed to be watching over the village!" The tears kept rolling down my face. Dator looked over at Salutem and Mortem and they left the tent. "Dator. Why did I see that image of that lady? And what were those words you were speaking to me?" She gave me a sad look. She took a deep breath and released in a huff. She opened her mouth several times, trying to get her words out. Finally she spoke. "Do you remember what you saw?" I nodded. "This is difficult to explain but remember, you are hosting the diviner of the Hunt. Well, what you saw was what happened to that lady was not fake.She really died that way. What you saw was how it happened." "Yeah, but why did it happen?" She flinched and continued," Hunt's powers, or your powers, will allow you to see how something died, or hunted. You will feel whenever someone has a good hunt or a bad hunt but until you come to full power, with the rest of us, you'll only be able to feel hunts." I laid back down and tried to digest what she said. "But you still didn't answer my other question. What were those words you spoke to me?"   "A simple spell. It kept your mind from fading into the image. Since your mind is not used to those experiences I had to shield it from those images. You will have to stay away from corpses, especially one's in cars, until you can properly control your powers."

A voice suddenly spoke in my head,"We can control them just fine Dator."

Dator paled and ran from the room.

-------------------------------------------------