Chapter 1: Beginnings

How did I end up here?

Indra roamed the banks of the Yellow River. The calming sound of the rushing water as it flowed onward toward the Bohai sea serenaded him as he contemplated his past. The river was a peculiar sight, even now after two years of wondering its banks he wasn't used to the sediment filled waters yellowish tint. He was drawn to the oh so familiar noise, each wave that smacked against its banks was a signal for his yearning heart.

How did It come to this?

Indra sighed, he had finally made his decision. The heavy rainfall had raised the water level substantially, It reached for him just as his heart reached back. The constant weight that loomed over him made his stomach twist, he couldn't wait any longer to let the powerful waters wash it all away for good. His tears were indecipherable from the rain that ran down his face.

After he had run away from the monastery Indra had assumed he'd be on his own. He was wrong, his new family nurtured him back to health after finding him alone, starving. He couldn't make it by himself. Hence the reason he practiced soft style martial arts with the monks, they knew his body was weak. They knew too well. He was sheltered in the monastery, treated differently from his peers. The other students shunned him for his weakness. All their talk of religion and the moral standard they must uphold and when it came down to it they were just children, selfish and mean. With his new family he had to work, they owned a farm and they treated him as an equal, he became friends with the children. He had a brother, Shen and a sister, Zou. They'd treated him like family, for a time. Indra thought he had found his place in the world but he had thought wrong.

Their first trip to the city, a full year after he'd been taken in by them they sold him off to the highest bidder. His brother didn't even look at him as he cried his name, his sister didn't shed a tear as he shed endless streams for her. They didn't care about him, never did. Once again the family had practiced a new kind of moral standard similar to the monks known as Moksha from a whole new religion. This one however Indra had taken a liking to, the only good thing that came of them.

He ran away the first chance he got, he was a little stronger than when he left the monks, he had to be. A full six months had gone by before he finally realized no one wanted him. He tried again and again but no family would accept him. He scrounged for his food everyday, picking from garbages, dumpsters, anything really and his only release was coming here, to the river. It was fitting that it would be his final release.

Henan China was said to be where chinese culture originated, He thought it ironic for it to be the place where he would finally meet his end.

Might as well ponder the past since there will be no future.

Indra inched closer to the edge of the river and something caught his eye. An Osprey flew overhead, it glided gracefully through the air, waiting, watching. They were known for their fishing prowess also known as sea hawks. It looked so free up in the sky. This beautiful creature was free from the suffering of men, if only. Indra envied it.

The Osprey only made him take another step, inspiring him to move towards freedom. The cold embrace of the rushing waters would be such a relief. His foot hung over the edge pushing even more sediment into the Yellow river. He was so close. Indra leaned forward slightly, completely calm, the rain, the river, it was all so serene in these final moments.

Then it happened.

BOOM

A loud noise spooked him, almost causing him to fall to his salvation. He stumbled back. His curiosity getting the better of him. Then a voice began speaking. To his left, no one same with the right and in front where the Yellow river lie. Indra shot a quick glance behind him, still nothing.