Chapter 33

A R T H U R

"If I see Shawn again, I will kill that little bitch!" Arthur huffed out angrily, trying to fix his tie in front of the mirror.

    "What's the big deal?" Isaac tried to say soothingly as he sat at his desk, reading. "It's just a date."

    "Oh, yes! Just a date!" Arthur said sarcastically, acting cheerful. But then he turned to glare at Isaac. "Just a date I was forced to go on! Why did I even agree to it? I don't even know this Mariana girl!"

    "Her name is Mary," Isaac said calmly, flipping to the next page of his book as he took a bite of his chocolate.

    "If you know her so well, then why didn't you agree to go on a date with her?"

    "I only know her name, Arthur. Besides, I already told you; I have to be at Professor Hudson's office at seven. He's asked a few of his students to come to his office for poetry reading tonight."

    "But you're not even studying Literature!"

    "The poems are in Latin. We take turns in reading and translating them. And I'm practicing it right now," Isaac explained, holding up the poetry book he was just reading.

     Arthur groaned in defeat, grabbing his briefcase and leaving the dorm after bidding Isaac goodbye.

    Earlier that day, Shawn had burst into their room without as much as a single knock, looking distressed.

     When they had asked him what was wrong, he'd only said, "I messed up."

    "What did you do this time?" Arthur had questioned, smirking lightly.

    "Very funny," Shawn said blankly.

    "What happened?" Isaac asked him worriedly.

    Shawn dropped himself down on one of the empty beds in their dorm, covering his face in his palms. "I just went to Luca's room to tell him about the opera tickets, but then I panicked and made him think that I'm going with him."

    "What's wrong with that?" said Isaac. "Luca's your friend. I'm sure he'd like to have you as company."

    "It's not that." Shawn sat up, looking miserable. "I've already asked Mary to go out with one of my friends. I'd thought that Luca would have more fun if I had set her up with someone."

    "Then just tell Mary that the date is cancelled. Problem solves." Arthur shrugged.

    "I can't. I heard from one of friends that she was really looking forward to this date, and that she's even bought a new dress already. That will ruin my reputation among girls."

    "Oh, that's bad. She'll be heartbroken..." Isaac grimaced. "Can't you just ask someone else to go with her?"

    Shawn's face was cleared of his frown, thinking it through. "Can you take her?"

    "Me?" Isaac shook his head quickly. "I can't. There's a gathering in Professor Hudson's office tonight."

    Shawn turned his glance on Arthur, grinning as he gave him a look.

    "Don't even think about it," said Arthur, knowing exactly what Sawn was indicating.

    "Come on!" Shawn groaned pleadingly. "I'll owe you one."

    "No! Besides, I don't even know where I'm supposed to take her!"

    "Take her to watch a movie. You can even go to the diner nearby and share a milkshake. Girls like that sort of things. You might even enjoy it, too!"