Chapter 11

L U C A

"... and I expect an essay on the influence of Shakespeare's works on modern literature, due next Monday," said Professor Johnson at the end of the class that day, a murmur of dismay raising from the students in return. But they all groaned when he added, "You will also compose an original poem of your own for three weeks from now. Have a good day." The professor then grabbed his briefcase and left the classroom before anyone could complain.

Ever since the death of Nancy Green, most of the professors, including professor Johnson, had been deep within their grief. Nancy did not have many friends, but she was certainly one of the brightest students in every class, and a favorite to all the professors.

"So, what are your plans for today?" Nicholas asked Luca and Shawn as everyone began to get up from their seats.

"I have rugby practice in an hour," said Shawn. "I've got my first game coming up."

"Really? When?" Nicholas asked excitedly.

"Third of October. St. George university's team is coming all the way here for the game."

"Are you nervous?"

Shawn scoffed arrogantly. "Never."

Nicholas smiled before turning to face Luca, who was neatly placing his textbooks inside his bag. "How about you, Luca?"

"I have a music lesson right now," said Luca, smiling at him apologetically. "I'll see you guys at lunch."

After bidding his friends goodbye, Luca walked his way up to the music room on the fifth floor of the Berrington Hall. When he entered the large circular room, he found that most of the students were already present, but Mr. Carter, their music teacher, had yet to arrive.

Luca headed straight for the piano after greeting the others, though it lacked the smiles that were usually exchanged between them. This was their first gathering here after Nancy's death. She had been one of them, after all, and it felt as though a light had gone out among them.

The room felt quieter than ever somehow as the minutes passed by, until the door opened and they saw Mr. Carter walk inside. He had dark bags underneath his eyes, and he looked as though he had forgotten how to smile, or as if he had never known how to laugh. Nancy had always been one of the most talented students in his class, and her death was a loss to him, too, after all.

There was no music in the instruments that day as they tried to play in harmony, each note sounding strident; the cellos were earsplitting and the violins shrill, and Luca found himself unable to focus on playing the piano, making numerous mistakes that Mr. Carter felt too weary to correct.

After he dismissed the class, the students left the room one by one, but Luca came to a stop when Mr. Carter called up to him from where he sat behind his desk.

"Luca, can I talk to you for a moment?" said Mr. Carter, his voice drowning in exhaustion.

Confused, Luca walked up to his desk as the last student left the music room, leaving the two of them alone. "Yes?"

"I took a look at your sheet music," he said, placing the papers on his desk. "I actually wanted to give it back to you last week, but because of the recent circumstances..." Mr. Carter's voice faded out. A blight seemed to have descended on him as he went pale with grief.

"And what did you think of it?" Luca asked hesitantly, trying to drag Mr. Carter out of his dark train of thoughts.

He looked up at Luca, blinking a few times as though trying to bring himself back to reality. "Oh, it was absolutely brilliant. I still can't believe you composed all that on your own."