Chapter 31

L U C A

This was his curse; no matter what he did, no matter how hard he tried to shut people out, his heart always found a way to love these people and to let them in, only to end up shattered.

    Luca had trusted John Carter. He had emptied a place for him in a corner of his heart. He knew what John had done was unforgivable, and yet, Luca couldn't bring himself to believe that he was the one who had murdered Nancy Green.

    It was just another Friday afternoon and Luca had returned to his dorm from his last class of the day. He was free for the rest of the weekend, so he decided to retire to bed, put on his glasses, and read his new book. But his peace was short-lasting, because soon he heard a sudden rapping at his door, making him jump.

    "Who is it?" Luca called out, lowering his book. Without answering, the person opened the door briskly and walked inside. Luca smiled the moment he saw Shawn. "Of course it was you. Nobody else almost breaks down the door when knocking."

    "No time for your sass, Miller. Get ready. You're going to London," said Shawn, his usual grin playing on his lips.

    Luca frowned in confusion, taking off his reading glasses to stare up at him as though he hadn't heard him right. "What?"

    "You heard me." Shawn's smirk only widened as he took out two tickets from his coat's inner pocket.

    Luca placed his book down on his nightstand and stood to his feet, moving closer to where Shawn was standing. He stooped his head to take a better look at the tickets, but the moment he saw what was written on them, his jaw dropped in shock.

    "Don Giovanni?" Luca almost yelled out the words as he stared up at Shawn with wide eyes. "But... how did you get these?"

    Shawn only smiled. "I gather you like the surprise?"

    "Lika? Like?" Luca laughed for what felt like the first time in weeks. "I've always wanted to go to this opera! This... this is..."

    He tried to find the right thing to say in order to express what he was feeling, but when words failed, he leaped forward and flung his arms around Shawn, bringing him into a tight hug. 

    "Thank you," Luca whispered, closing his eyes in bliss as Shawn hugged him back, holding him in his arms.

    When Luca pulled away, he was still smiling broadly, unable to contain his excitement. "Are you sure you're going to like the opera, though? It's almost two hours long."

    Shawn paused, fumbling with the words until he finally smiled softly and said, "I'm sure it won't too bad."

    Luca laughed again out of pure joy, running a hand through his golden hair. "Well, I should probably get ready if we want to catch the first train to London. I'll pay for the train tickets."

    "Right. Brilliant," Shawn said distractedly, but Luca was too excited to notice that there was something on his mind. "Anyway, I need to — um — talk to someone about — something. I'll meet you up in thirty minutes down in the courtyard. All right?"

    "All right." Luca nodded, his spirit rejoicing. "I'll see you then."

***

Taking a quick shower and wearing his best suit, Luca spent long minutes in front of his mirror, making sure that he looked decent. There was an excited batter in his heart, and he could not possibly suppress his smile. He was going to see one of his favorite operas of all time, but not just with anyone.

     With Shawn.

    Whenever Luca closed his eyes, he would remember the last time they were alone together. He would remember how Shawn had stood so close to him, or the way he had placed his hand upon his cheek. Even the mere thought of it was enough to send shivers down his spine. It was enough to bring him back to life even if he were put to death.

    Daylight had not yet forsaken the city as Luca walked down into the courtyard, where he found Shawn, awaiting him a few feet yonder. Shawn still hadn't spotted him, and so Luca stood there for a moment longer, taking in the sight of him. With his hands in his pockets, he was pacing around upon the mowed grass, deep in his thoughts. He looked just as handsome as ever.

    Just then, Shawn saw him from the corner of his eyes, and so his head shot up and he smiled, sending Luca a little wave.

    "Hi," said Shawn, walking toward him, his black eyes devouring him. "You look — I-I mean... that's a good suit."

    "Thanks." Luca felt himself blush, but he surprised even himself when he said cheekily, "You look good, too."

    Shawn chuckled lightly, shaking his head at him in disbelief.

***

The weather wasn't positively rainy, but darkened by grey clouds that hovered in the sky as the two boys took a cab and got themselves to the closest train station.

    As soon as Luca and Shawn bought their tickets, however, they barely had time to relax before they heard the train let out a whistle, ready to leave the station.

    "HURRY!" Shawn yelled out, and so they made a run toward the train, trying to catch it in time. Smoke from the engine drifted over them as they pushed their way through the sea of people and clambered onto the train, just as it had begun to move.

    With their hands resting on their knees and panting heavily to catch their breath, they glanced up at each other and suddenly burst into laughter.