Chapter 10

N I C H O L A S

The five boys spent the next day in search for people whom they could interview, but as it turned out, nobody knew Nancy Green well enough. Many used to share their classes with her, but just like Luca and Eve Winters, they hadn't been very close to her. Hence, Luca took the lead in writing this next draft for their newspaper, regarding the memorial on Sunday morning.

Even though very few people had known or even heard of Nancy, almost everyone showed up to her memorial on the following morning. Everybody had worn their best black clothes, there to pay their respects and condolences. Hymns were read and sung, they were asked to pray, and at last the dean made a moving speech about what a brilliant student she was and how she was going to be missed.

Once the memorial came to an end, the crowd left the hall one by one. The day wasn't, by any reckoning, a cheerful one, although the sun had finally made an appearance after days.

"Okay, so what now?" Shawn asked, already looking for the next thing he could do to keep himself occupied. "How about we go out for a change? The weather's great for a walk around town."

"Isaac, Luca, and I were actually thinking of having a study group in the common room today," said Arthur. "You can join us, if you like."

Shawn groaned, throwing his head back. "Ugh, fine. But just because there's a pool table there."

"How about you, Niko? Would you like to come?" Isaac asked, but he received no response from him.

"Niko?" Luca turned around to see what was going on and why their friend was failing to answer them.

A few steps behind them, they found Nicholas staring at something in the distance.

"Niko!" Shawn bellowed, finally getting his attention.

"What?" Nicholas questioned, still looking rather dazed for some reason.

"Study group. Today. In or out?" said Arthur.

"Or a game of pool. The choice is yours." Shawn shrugged with a grin. "Although I think the right choice is pretty clear."

"Er... actually, I think I'm going to skip it today. I'm sorry, guys," Nicholas said distractedly as his gaze kept wandering off. "I'll see you later."

Waving them goodbye, Nicholas left the four boys confused as he walked away and down the campus, through the grass lane.

The golden sun dribbled upon the lake, where Nicholas was headed. He had seen Eve Winters walk in this direction, and so his eyes travelled all around, stopping only when he finally sighted her near the lake. With the morning sun in her hair and her legs gracefully tucked beside her, Eve was sitting down on the grass, underneath a tall willow tree. She had a book in hand as her blue eyes moved along the lines.

He watched her from afar for a moment longer as a light breeze stirred amidst the tree branches and her golden hair, brushing through them in harmony. The name 'Eve' suited her, Nicholas thought, for she looked like she belonged to the Garden of Eden; ever so heavenly, ever so blissful.

Taking in a deep breath, Nicholas began to walk closer toward her, clearing his throat lightly to announce his presence. When she looked up at him, the dreamy look in her eyes slowly faded, for she was dragged back to reality and away from the world of her book.

"Hello." Nicholas offered her a little smile, though he knew he had to do a bit more than that to make her forget about their unexpected and blunt approach two days ago.