Chapter 17

Ellington’s P.O.V.

I was frantically running around my room, trying to find my keys when my phone vibrated in my pocket. 

You coming dude? the text had said from Rocky. 

Yeah just running a bit late, I quickly response before finally finding my keys in the pocket of the jeans I wore yesterday.  I had spent way too much time getting ready for our little group date tonight that I completely lost track of time and then of course my shoes and then my keys decided to go missing on me.  I quickly run down the stairs and out to my car, not wanting the Lynch’s to wait any longer for me than they already had. 

 As I was making the right-hand turn onto the Lynch’s street, my palms start to sweat and my heart starts pounding faster as I anticipate what is to come.  I do not know why I am so nervous all of a sudden.  It is not like Rydel and I are strangers or anything.  We have known each other for years so why would it be such a big deal that I am going out to dinner with her?  It is not like I have never gone to dinner or to see a movie with Rydel before.  As I pull into the driveway I come to the conclusion that I was nervous because there was a title on tonight; although it was partially my fault for telling Rydel I would be her date.  We were no longer hanging out, we were going on a date.  But that does not necessarily mean anything, right?

I walk up to the front door and into the house without knocking, something I have been doing ever since I was accepted into the family as the sixth child.  I follow the voices into the kitchen where everyone is waiting for me.  Although after taking a second look around, I notice that Elizabeth and Rydel were nowhere to be found. 

“Sorry I’m late, guys”, I apologize.

“It’s okay.  You’re date is taking forever anyway”, Rocky tells me as he leaned against the kitchen counter, standing awfully close to Mary.  My heart started to beat a bit faster again when Rocky had called his sister my date. 

“Hey Ellington”, Elizabeth says walking into the kitchen, a huge smile on her face. 

“Are you guys finally ready?” Ross asks, glancing down at the watch wrapped around his wrist. 

“Yup”, Elizabeth responds, taking a few steps towards Ross to close the distance between them, leaving the doorway completely empty as Rydel walks in.  I look at Rydel who is wearing a nice outfit that is similar to what she usually wears for our concerts but there was something different about her tonight.

“Hi guys”, she says, glancing over at me and smiling.  “You ready?” she asks.  Riker leads the way, grabbing his keys by door and walking out to his car.  Everyone else starts to file out after him and eventually it is only me and Rydel left in the house. 

 “You look beautiful, Rydel”, I finally muster out as we walk towards the front door.

“Thank you”, she says, sounding a bit surprised at my compliment.  “You don’t look too bad yourself”, she says, winking at me before walking to my car. 

Yup, I think to myself.  I definitely have a crush on her.    

Elizabeth’s P.O.V.

I climb into the backseat of Riker’s car with Ross next to me and Nicole sitting up front with her boyfriend.  Ellington was driving with Rydel, Rocky and Mary in his car since there was no way we would be able to fit the eight of us in one car.  I reach into my little black leather clutch and grab my phone to text Nicole. 

Did you see the way Ellington looked at Rydel? I quickly type.  I look at Nicole and wait for her to get my message.  Almost immediately her phone vibrates and she looks at my text. 

Ik! Ellington totally likes Rydel! It’s so cute, Nicole responds. 

I have a good feeling this date will go off just as we planned, I type back.  After Nicole’s phone vibrates for the second time, the boys seem to realize something is up.

“What are you guys talking about that you can’t say out loud?” Riker suddenly asks. 

“I have no idea what you mean!” I say, feigning surprise. 

Ross just rolls his eyes and looks at me.  “We’re not oblivious”, he tells us. 

“Okay, fine!” Nicole says.  “We’re talking about how handsome our two guys look tonight”, she says, resting her hand on Riker’s knee. 

“Sure you were”, Ross says, not trying to hide the fact that he did not believe us. 

“I’ll tell you later”, I silently mouth at Ross.  I do not know why but Nicole did not want to let the boys in on our little match-maker plan.  She had said something along the lines that we could not trust them and that they would blab to Rocky and Ellington that we were hoping this group outing will result in two new relationships.  I knew I could trust Ross; if anything he would be willing to help out.  He has told me before how mopey Rocky can sometimes be about not having a girlfriend and I knew Ross would want to help change it.  I just really want all of us to have a great time tonight and if Rocky and Mary or Rydel and Ellington or even both ended up together, that would just be an added bonus.