Chapter 3

We all gather around the table, listening to Mary open and close the oven door, eager to see what wonderful dinner she prepared for us.  Yesterday, the three of us had just lounged around the house and went to bed early because of the major jetlag.  Today, we all woke up early and Rachel took us to all of the touristy spots like Rodeo Drive and the Hollywood sign.  As soon as we got home, Mary headed right to the kitchen, forbidding us from entering. 

Mary comes into the dining room, carrying a steamy bowl full of homemade mac and cheese.  I watch as she spoons it on to four separate plates, strings of cheese hanging off of the edge of every plate. 

“Yum!” Rachel sighs as she digs in.  “I am so glad you guys are staying until August but when you leave it is going to be so hard to have to go back to eating microwave dinners again.”

Nicole giggles and opens her mouth as if she is about to say something when instead a loud burp escapes her lips.

“Nicole!” I scold.  “You are such a boy!”

“Speaking of boys”, Mary says, “I thought I heard one talking earlier this morning.  I was outside reading while you guys were all getting ready when I heard voices coming from the other side of the fence.  They sounded young, and hot, but I couldn’t tell.”

I gasp.  “Are you keeping your hot neighbors a secret from us, Rachel?” I question. 

“Oh, yeah!  I do have neighbors around your ages.  I don’t know how I forgot especially since they are so incredibly gorgeous!”

Nicole squeals before asking, “Wait, you’re not being sarcastic, are you?  Because Elizabeth is famous for her sarcastic comments.”  I throw a teasing glare in Nicole’s direction while Rachel shakes her head back and forth.

“No, I’m being completely serious!  I remember when I first moved in that the oldest son had a major crush on me.  Although, he’s three years younger than me and I had a boyfriend at the time.  Maybe he’s still single!  I talk to their mom all of the time so maybe I’ll have to call her up later tonight and ask if they want to join us for dinner tomorrow so you can meet them!”

“I’m going to have to pull out a good recipe!” Mary exclaims.  “They always say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach!”

                                    _____________________________

“Great!  We will see you tomorrow then.  Okay, bye!” Rachel talks into her cell phone while walking into the living room.  “They will be here for dinner tomorrow at 5:30”, Rachel informs us, sliding her phone into her back pocket and plopping down on the couch next to me.

“So what are they like?” Mary asks.

“They are a very nice family”, Rachel replies.  We all look at each other and wait for Rachel to continue.  “And….” I say.

“And…that is all I’m going to tell you girls,” Rachel smirks.  “Isn’t is better to not know and be surprised?”

“I guess”, I sigh, glancing at my friends’ slightly discouraged faces.  We return to watching our movie as my cousin disappears into her room.  I have a hard time focusing on the rest of the movie, my mind continuously drifting to the mysterious boys living next door.  When meeting new people, I usually start off as a very shy girl but if someone is willing enough to stick around, I eventually reveal my confident and outgoing self.  It is even worse when I meet a new boy, especially a cute new boy.  I just hope that things will be different tomorrow night because I am tired of being that shy girl.  I am ready to break free and try to find a special guy for me.