Chapter 29: Ghost Rider

I follow the dwarf, continuing to yell after him as loud as I am able while running. Not once does he slow.  My legs are already tired to the point of near numbness, but I keep my pace matched with his, terrified of becoming lost in these hallways forever.

Eventually he runs through an area that I recognize, and I finally stop running.  The relief is so welcoming that my legs collapse beneath me, and my breathing comes in short gasps as I fight for air.  

I remember this hallway specifically, back from a time before anyone knew there were Balrogs in Erebor. This was where Kili found me in the hallway, the night I had my nightmare.  Now it seems like it happened years ago, when in reality it must have been only a week at most.

I want to close my eyes so badly, just curl up on the stone floor and sleep, but I can't.  I have to find everyone first, then I will be able to rest.

A thought occurs to me, coming slower than normal because of my tiredness.  Maybe they all really do think I'm dead. Am I dead?  I look down at myself, but there's nothing off about me.  I'm not transparent or anything else strange.  Could I be completely invisible, perhaps?

"No, that dwarf saw you." I mutter to myself like a madwoman.

I must be alive then. Why in the world would they think me dead, though?

I keep moving up the now familiar hallway, lit every so often with torches. Almost unconsciously, I stretch my hand out to run along the familiar walls, their coolness reassuring.  I wouldn't be able to feel that if I was dead, so I must be alive.

Lost in my own thoughts, I've traveled farther than I originally thought, and now stand just outside the room I left Castor, Del, and Mae in.  I carefully peer around the corner, and notice that all three, along with Kinjal are there.  Instantly, I feel more relaxed.  They're all safe.

I lightly move inside the door frame, approaching all of them with caution.  If they all think I'm dead, then why not have a little fun with this?  None of them turn around; they all seem to be staring dejectedly at random points on the wall.

Taking a seat on an abandoned bed in the far corner of the room, I clear my throat and speak.

"So, how's everyone doing?" I ask casually, as if this is a normal day.  My feet are tucked up comfortably underneath me, and a pleasant smile is on my face.  Any tension I was holding before melted away upon seeing all of them here.

It is almost comical how they all tense up and slowly turn around to face me.  All wear mirror looks of disbelief.  What I don't understand though is why I still am unable to feel my connection with Kinjal.  

I save that worrisome thought for later though, because three people fling themselves at me, knocking me off balance and causing the four of us to fall backwards onto the bed.

"We thought you were dead! You stopped breathing!" Mae practically screams, bouncing up and down slightly with excitement.

"Well I promised I would come back, didn't I?" I nudge Castor's shoulder with my own. "Oh ye of little faith."

He snorts, a smirk replacing the serious expression he wore. "Yes, I suppose you did, Balrog slayer." he nudges my shoulder back.  It leads to me lightly shoving him, and him shoving back harder, and pretty soon we've all grabbed pillows off of all the beds in the room and begun a pillow war.  Feathers erupt all around us, and soon we are all covered in the greyish down.

The three of them stop rather suddenly though, making me look around in confusion.  It takes me a second to realize that none of them are staring at me though, but rather something behind me. Castor has a knowing look on his face that slightly bewilders me, so I slowly turn around to see why they're gawking.

Standing at the threshold, is Kili.

I would love love love feedback on this chapter from all of you lovely Intrepids!  Your thoughts, opinions, (hopes, dreams...idk) It still needs to be edited, but I wanted to get this out for you to read it!

-El