Chapter 1: The Tales of Old

"Long ago, the Riders were a powerful people. We ruled the skies in companionship with the dragons and no one dared challenge us. We were, for a time, the keepers of peace, but fear began to grow in the hearts of many, for we were seen as a threat despite our peacefullness with all. So to save all of Middle Earth from destruction,"

My younger sister, Delphinium, interrupts father's retelling of our history. "Yes, our ancestors hid our people in the mountains, where we have remained ever since. You have told us that story a million times, Father."

I just roll my eyes, smiling good naturedly at both of them. "Come on Del, it's not that bad." As soon as Father turns his gaze away from me though, I stick my tongue out at Del and wrinkle up my nose, letting her know I think the same thing about hearing our people's history again.

"I do not know, sister." Rilin, our elder brother, says jokingly from across the table. "I have been hearing the tale for three more winters than you, and I have grown quite sick of it."

Del and I both laugh.

"Well if you know it so well, then why don't you finish it." Father says amiably from the head of the table. "It is important that you learn and remember the histories of our kind."

"Of course, Father. We were only joking." I pick up the story right where he had left off, not hesitating for a second. "Some of our kind were not content with life in the mountains, and they abandoned us. These forsaken pillaged many cities, killing hundreds of defenseless people. The Riders' desire for revenge blinded their sense of judgement, and soon their dragons' minds became twisted and dark as well. As the Riders died off with age, their dragons lived on, the connection between the two severed by their blackened souls. Those are the free-roaming dragons; the enemy. They have grown enormous in their long lifespans, and are the reason we remain hidden in the mountains, for the other races now think us evil." I finish in a melancholy tone. The story of our kind was not a happy one.

"It's not a very happy story, is it." Del states plainly, seeming to have read my thoughts.

"No, but important all the same." I respond.

We had all been seated at the table, waiting for supper to finish cooking, when Father had launched into the epic tale. Del was right in saying we hear the story frequently, and it often causes me to wonder how things could have been if our kind had not fled to the mountains for refuge.

"Pan? Pan, have you even been listening?" I hear as I shake my head to clear unwanted thoughts. Del must have asked me a question.

"Hm? Sorry Del, what did you say?"

"I asked if you would tell us a story!" she exclaims, scooting her chair closer to me.

"Delphinium, lower your voice. She is sitting just next to you." Father chides.

"Sorry Father," she amends, and turns back to me. "Please?"

I sigh, "Why is it you never ask Rilin to tell you stories?" I ask her, though not really minding.

"Because he is terrible at it!" she scrunches up her button nose. "And anyways, you are much better at storytelling than anyone else. Tell me about one of your adventures while riding Kinjal again." Kinjal is my dragon, and the two of us often snuck off on little escapades to explore the mountains, and sometimes hunt orcs when we were meant to be hunting for our next meal.

"Come Del, those are barely worth repeating." I say, trying to buy myself some time to think of a story I had not already told to her.

"Well you must tell me something, please Pandy." she looks at me in earnest, using my nickname that only she and Rilin call me, her small hand grabbing my own.

She is nearly nine winters younger than I am, and twelve younger than Rilin. She had been born just before Mother died, and Del's resemblance to her is striking; her light brown hair and bright green eyes just as Mother's had been. Rilin had also inherited Mother's eyes, but has a shock of dark brown hair similar to mine.

"Have I ever told you of my first time flying with Kinjal?" I ask Del, seeing her eyes light up.

Del is not yet old enough to begin training to ride a dragon, and constantly bemoans the fact that both Rilin and I are always off flying. She would be old enough come spring though, and Del could not be more impatient about the coming season.

The food soup I had been making finishes just as I am about to launch into the my story for Del, and I can see the disappointment in her face.

As I make my way over to the pot, I lean over and whisper in her ear, "I will tell you before I go out flying tonight; meet Rilin and I outside after dinner."

She nods her head vigorously, and begins to devour her bowl of soup with gusto. I cover my mouth with a hand to prevent the giggling from bubbling out at Del, and dig into my own food.

***Kinjal and Pan size comparison for you.  That is also what Kinjal looks like.***