Chapter 10: Flying at Last

Castor is healing remarkably well, but for the time being remains bed ridden. My own wound has healed with an irritating scab over it, and it itches every time the fabric of my shirt brushes us against it. It no longer hurts at all though, only feeling tight if I twist too far in either direction.

I do not seem to be the only one that is uncomfortable; all three of the dragons are dying to get a chance to stretch their wings. Being stuck on the ground for over two weeks now has made them stir crazy, and I too miss the biting wind against my cheeks and giddiness in my stomach from flying with Kinjal through the air. It is rude though, to be anything bug grateful for all that has been done for us.

Del, Mae and I had been given a large room, thoughtfully located close to where Castor is resting in the infirmary. The walls are unadorned, save for the intricate carvings directly on the rock walls. Three beds rest against the wall opposite the door, all identical to eachother, and a small wardrobe is located to the left of that.

As of late though, none of the beds are actually used. Both Del and Mae have horrible nightmares of our village burning, so every night the three of us pull all the blankets off of the beds and curl up beside Kinjal and Mae's dragon, who I had found out is named Altair. It was much more comfortable sleeping near the dragons; it kept us much warmer, and I also worried less with giant dragons watching over us as we slept.

Earlier this morning I had changed into the outfit from our wardrobe that had been tailored to fit me; a pair of warm, black leggings, covered up to the knee by my grey riding boots, and a royal blue blouse with sleeves that tucked nicely under my arm guards. I had placed my fur vest back on, even though it was not cold enough for it to be necessary. It had been a gift from Father for my birthday only last year, and the only possession I now have from him.

Del and Mae had insisted that they both accompany me as I wander through the carved tunnels or Erebor, and it was just about when we had managed to reach the great hall when a thought occured to me. 

"It would be much too risky to go outside and risk the orcs catching sight of us, but perhaps we would be allowed to fly through the cavernous rooms within the mountain? Do you think they would allow us to?" I direct my thoughts to Kinjal.

"Perhaps, and there is no harm in asking."

***

"Woo! Yeah!" Mae screams loudly, laughing happily as she and Altair weave through the pillars of the cavernous room we are in. Del watches for the ground, shouting out how good she thinks our technique is.

Dwarves walking below stop whatever it is they had been doing to watch us play around, diving and spiraling through the air.

"Well since they are all watching us, let's give them a show," I say to Kinjal, and she growls slightly in agreement.

"Heads up Mae!" I shout across to her as Altair and Kinjal come within a hair's breath of each other.

I see her nod even though she has no idea what I'm planning to do. It makes me feel warm inside that she trusts my judgment so willingly.

Kinjal lets out a mighty roar, and dives for the ground, straight at the largest group of bystanders. They scatter, diving out of the way to avoid a head-on collision, but at the last second Kinjal pulls up and takes off in the opposite direction. As she passes over Altair and Mae, I jump down lightly behind her.

"Show off!" she shouts jokingly to me.

I laugh at her, glad to see no emotion on her face besides joy. "Well then why don't you join me in making this fun for them to watch?" I point down at the dwarves watching below, whose numbers seemed to have swelled to four times what had been watching only moments before.

"What do you have in mind then? Mae asks curiously.

"Just follow my lead!" I yell, and jump off Altair's side over his left wing.

Kinjal swoops in to catch me on her back before I harshly greet the ground, and her voice is immediately back in my mind.

"Well we know one thing for sure." Kinjal says to me, and I can just imagine her eyes glinting with amusement.

"And what's that?" I ask. "I know, I know; my side is perfectly healed now."

"True, but that is not what I meant. The brown haired dwarf, Kili was it? The one that's constantly clouding your thoughts?"
Kinjal teases.

"Yes, his name is Kili." I respond, feeling my cheeks burn red.

"He cannot take his eyes off you," Kinjal says smugly.

"How do you know?" I ask, slightly too enthusiastic.

"Look down there for yourself." I close my own eyes and allow myself to see through Kinjal's.

He comes sharply into focus with Kinjal's enhanced sight, and I can see him smiling up at me.

A rumbling laugh comes from Kinjal, and I open up my eyes again in my own body.

"That is what I thought." Kinjal chuckles.

There's no point in hiding anything from Kinjal since she can read my mind regardless. Maybe I did like Kili.

***

That gif <3 haha

***