Chapter 27: Found

Kili's Point of View:

We found her. I almost wish we hadn't.

The wounds that cover her look like something no one could heal from. There are gashes running up and down the length of her, and a scarily large amount of blood seeping from underneath her hair.

The shock leaves me frozen, unmoving. This girl had saved everyone without a second thought. Everyone but herself.

She looks eerily like she's fallen asleep; despite the large amount of blood she is still losing, her face is peaceful and serene. Her head is turned upward towards the ceiling of the cave, as though she had drifted off while watching the stars. But she hadn't. She had been fighting a demon that no one should have to face. And she had been doing so practically alone.

It takes some time for the shock of actually finding Pan to wear off, and by that time I come to realize the other two girls are going to be of little help. Both Mae and Del have been reduced to tears at the sight of their dying ally. I know it is up to me to take charge if we want any chance of saving her.

It takes a moment, but after repeatedly calling Mae's name, I have her attention.

"I need you to go with Del back up to the surface for help. Bring some of the other Riders down here. We can't all be carried by your dragon." Mae just stares at me with glassy eyes.

I soften my voice and try again. "You want to save her, right?" I ask, and Mae nods her head. "Okay, well then I need you to do this for me. For her. You have to be strong if your want to help her."

She nods woodenly, and I slide off her dragon's back. "Alright now go as fast as you can!"

Her eyes come alive with purpose.

The second they leave, I run to Pan's fallen form. I feel utterly useless, because there's nothing I can do until the other Riders reach us.

I feel like in some way this is my fault, that maybe there was something I didn't think of, something I could have done to help her. I know she doesn't need protecting; she's as strong as any of our own warriors, but no one should have to stand alone.

A tear slides down from one of my eyes that I quickly wipe away, despite there being no one else here. I have to stay strong for Mae and Del. I promised Pan I would protect them.

I try to push those thoughts away, just focusing on Pan. I have to figure out where all of the blood is coming from if she's going to survive.

Pushing the matted hair from her face, I find that it's not where the blood is coming from. Thin rivulets of scarlet are meandering their way over the side of her face, and as I gently push her hair further over, I see a large gash between her jaw and the top of her head. The gruesome sight makes my heart plummet.

It's too deep; she's not going to make it.