Chapter 37.

"I really don't understand why you don't have any nice clothes." I sighed as I followed Luke into the store, trailing slowly behind him.

"I really don't understand why you don't understand." Luke looked over his shoulder at me and smiled.

Luke had been in an extremely sarcastic mood all day, and that's why I really wasn't looking forward to going shopping with him. But he claimed that he needed some nice clothes to wear for his graduation that was quickly approaching. I really didn't like the thought of this all happening so fast, but there was nothing I could do. This was something that Luke clearly wanted and I didn't want to interfere with that.

"Can we please just get this over with?" I groaned, "I'm hungry."

"I just need one shirt, then you can go get some food." Luke said, finally stopping in front of a shelf full of button up shirts. He crouched down and started rummaging through all of the shirts, seeming like he had something very specific in mind. I stayed standing and looked down at him while he did this, he didn't look like he needed any help from me anyway.

"Don't you already have a lot of shirts like this?" I question, still staring down at Luke. "You know, from when you worked at the theater?"

"I tried them on last night before I called you to see if we could go shopping today. They're all too big in the...well, everywhere." Luke chuckled quietly. It was obvious that Luke had lost a lot of weight in the past few months and we actually discussed it regularly, but I knew that Luke didn't enjoy bringing too much attention to it. Whenever either one of us brought it up it almost always ended in some type of fight, or disagreement. I hated fighting with Luke, and I hoped that he knew deep down that the only reason why I ever acted so worried about him was because I cared so much.

"What about pants?" I asked. changing subjects before things got too uncomfortable for both of us. I watched Luke as he searched through the piles of shirts, making a disgusted face as he came across an ugly green one.

"I bought a new pair of jeans a couple weeks ago, I'll just wear those." He answered, throwing another shirt to the side.

"Jeans?" I laughed, raising an eyebrow at him. Luke picked up two shirts, a black one and a white one and stood up again, moving on to another shelf.

"They're black." Luke shrugged. He held up a blue shirt that was exactly the same as the other two he had, only a different color. "Do you like this one?"

"It's alright. Do you have a tie to go with it?" I asked.

"I have to wear a tie too?" Luke let out a loud groan, throwing his head back in frustration.

"Well, you should." I said, "It might look a little weird if you don't. I mean, you're already wearing jeans, you don't want to be too casual."

"This is just too much." Luke sighed jokingly.

"What, you didn't think you were going to have to look nice for this thing?" I laughed. I didn't know why Luke didn't know more about this. His brother graduated the same year mine did, I would think that he would remember how it was. I certainly did.

"I just don't like shopping, or picking out clothes." Luke said, rolling his eyes. He stood up, his new shirts in his hands, and turned to face me.

"So that's why you invited me to come help you?" I smirked up at him, knowing that this was the exact reason why Luke wanted me to come with him today. Luke leaned down and slowly pressed his lips to mine and I could feel him smiling as I kissed him back.

Luke pulled away after just a few seconds, probably not wanting to bring too much attention. We were already being watched by some of the employees here, it wasn't often that two teenagers were alone in a store like this. "Exactly."