Chapter 38.

Luke had lied to me. I woke up later that night and he wasn't there next to me. I had expected him to be sleeping, it was still really late. I don't know what he would have been doing if he wasn't in here.

I knew that there was someone else in the house that was awake, because I could hear them moving around in the hallway and the bathroom. I waited for what felt like a really long time for Luke to come back, thinking that he had just gone to the bathroom. After a while I just gave up.

I hoped that I was Luke and not his mom, because I didn't give myself much time to think any of this over before going out to talk to him. I rolled off of Luke's bed and ran a hand through my hair, realizing that I had fallen asleep with all of my clothes still on. Usually Luke would give me something of his to sleep in, but I guess tonight wasn't one of those nights. He wasn't in a very good mood when we went to bed and I didn't want to bother him.

I carefully peaked my head out from behind the doorframe and stared down the hallway, noticing that the bathroom light was on. The door was still shut so I wasn't sure who exactly was in there, but by now I was almost positive that if was Luke. His mom had her own bathroom anyway, why would she use this one?

Finally, the door opened and the light shut off, but I still didn't move. Luke came out of the bathroom and made his way back towards his room, clearly trying to do his best to not make any noise at all. I really shouldn't have gotten so worried, he was just using the bathroom. I guess it just freaked me out since he promised that he would be here when I woke up and we was, well, not.

I quickly ran back over to Luke's bed and sat down on it so I wouldn't look like a creep standing by the door when he walked in. He entered the room just a few seconds later, barely even noticing that I was sitting up on the bed and staring at him. He shut the door behind himself as he walked in and slowly shuffled over to wear I was sitting, taking a seat next to me.

"Why are you awake?" Luke whispered.

"Because you are." I whispered back to him, watching as he played with the ends of his sleeves.

"I was just in the bathroom" Luke smiled softly. He quickly wiped at the side of his mouth with his sleeve, like he was trying to do it fast enough so I wouldn't see.

"Yeah, I figured." I smiled.

"I just had something I needed to...do." Luke whispered. He laid down again and pulled me with him, both of us falling back into the position we had been in before.

"What, like, go to the bathroom?" I whispered, letting a small laugh escape my lips. Luke's hand traveled slowly up the back of my shirt and he traced circles into my skin, leaving small little designs with his fingers.

"No," Luke chuckled quietly, "Do you really want to know?"

"If you want to tell me, then go ahead." I tried to shrug as best as I could, it was kind of hard in the position that Luke and I were in. I knew that there were still a lot of personal things that Luke didn't want to tell me, and I accepted that. I would never try to force him into telling me something like that unless it was extremely important.

"It's honestly not that special, Stel. It's not a big deal." Luke shifted for just a second and leaned further into me, so his lips were almost pressed against my cheek. His breath smelled minty, like he had just brushed his teeth.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I said slowly. I was trying hard to work on not pushing Luke like I would normally end up doing, that really didn't help either of us in situations like this.

"Oh okay. I threw up." Luke shrugged nonchalantly, like it was no big deal. Like it was something so normal for him that he didn't even mind talking about it out loud anymore.