Three

The next few hours Emerson spent with Fleury were very fun, hockey conversation coming very easy. Both Marc and coach Bales were very interested in how she felt with the process, her opinions in goal- things that made her feel very welcomed. She felt like a major weight had been lifted off her shoulders knowing that two of the main people she'd be working with were so kind, so supportive. But really, could anyone expect anything less of Marc-Andre Fleury?

The two goalies were talking side by side down the hallway to go back to the lockeroom.

"Now that it's just us, tell me a little about yourself. In detail though please... I mean you're gonna be stuck with me and plenty of other guys for months on end. We all basically know everything about each other."

"Hmm, well where should I start?" Emerson had plenty of things she could share, but it was such a broad question that she didn't know what to share.

"How'd you get into hockey? I think that's pretty important." Fleury let out a soft giggle as he held open the lockeroom door for the girl. So far, he was grateful for Emerson's personality and how she was.. the rest of the guys would be glad to know how well she'd fit in.

The two took seats right next to each other so they could talk easier, "I was actually born in France, and when I was about four my mom's best friend's son was probably sixteen.. he would watch me every once in awhile.. and he actually played hockey. But one night they had a last minute practice before their version of playoff finals so, I got dragged since my parents were out of town and he couldn't leave me alone. And after that I always asked to go watch him play, or even the local professional team." Emerson chuckled as she got out the whole story in one go.

"I'm sure your parents were loving that! It seems like it's a pretty normal way for people to get into the sport though."

"My dad was chill about it since his best friend played professionally but boy was my mom not happy. I think it was when I started playing goalie when I was around ten was she finally content."

"Oh you weren't always a goalie?"

"Nope, I was a winger for a few years. But for some reason my coach at the time saw my potential as a goalie? Not too sure actually." Emerson chuckled thinking back to that day. She remembered being devastated about the decision because of how much she loved to skate around as fast as she could.

"Thank god he did! I mean it's definitely worked out for the best. You're very talented, I'm gonna have a run for my money!"

"Ah I wouldn't say that.."

The air got a bit silent around them, Emerson looking down at her fiddling hands.

"So um, did one of your parents come with you here or are you on your own?"

"My own technically.." Emerson smiled sadly, "my parents, sadly, aren't with us anymore."

"Oh-!" a look of shock crossed the older man's facial features. As someone who was so caring and never wanted to upset anyone like this, he felt regret. For once there wasn't a smile on his lips, "I'm so sorry I didn't mean to.."

"No no you're okay I promise. It's not something that- how do I say 'doesn't bother me anymore' without seeming emotionless?"

"You've just come to terms with it."

"Yes definitely. I had a good support system when it happened."

"Team?"

"Yep." It wasn't something Emerson thought of often. She didn't identify with being a kid who lost her parents, she was stronger than that. She also didn't dwell on it or use it as an enabler- it was sad, a time of her life she wouldn't want to go back to, but it happened for a reason. Or at least she'd like to think.