Chapter 27 - Spy

"Did you create me to be your personal spy who didn't realize she was spying because she had no clue about your world?" Kay decided to raise her suspicions boldly, and neither Thane nor Akira had to say a word—the truth was too obvious to deny.

"That is why you did not rescue me; Azera would have figured it out. Was it why you did not claim me either and allowed your rivals to divvy me up between the two of them like spoils of war?

"Just like you will not announce world peace tomorrow. Are you going to declare your opposition to this marriage and the unlawful claiming of your unwanted child, seedling, newborn, whatever the hell I am?" Kay's disdain grew with each word.

Even as she caught her reflection in the mirror above the bar, she frowned. Her eyes blazed eerily blue and shone with a profound power she had no idea existed in her.

"Despite everything, you are my daughter and my flesh and blood. Only one of my children could survive Azera, and only if that child had no knowledge Azera might torture from her. But I never dreamed it would take this long for her to make her move. Patience is something she learned over time."

Kay's dismissal of their bond angered him, but oddly, he also seemed angry at himself.

"And yes, for the survival of humanity, my children, these arrogant werewolves and conceited vampires, I was willing to sacrifice my flesh and blood. There was no other way. What you learned and don't even realize you did may save us from destruction, subjugation, humiliation, and misery.

"Although I had no idea how powerful you would become or how true to form, I am not sorry for creating you. Despite regretting the pain that you suffered, I am not sorry that it was you I sent. No other would have succeeded or molded themselves from the ashes as you have.

"The hatred you harbor toward me pains me, but being my daughter, I would expect no less. Even now, I will not publicly do the right thing by you. Make no secret of how much you despise your sister and me for what we allowed Azera to do to you; remember, you are a part of me. Nothing you can do will change that; for our kind, it is not the same as for humans. These bonds define us," Father and daughter stared at each other.

"I await your decision," Although Thane spoke to Darius and Marcus, his eyes never left her.

"No need. Our decision has been made," Marcus said, glancing at Darius, who stared at him for a moment before turning his gaze to Thane.

"Although we will play your game, it will not be for the reasons you stated. One of our own suffered greatly for a war that might not happen. If there are monsters in the shadows, they will be destroyed, and Azera will not fulfill her plans. If you betray us, we will destroy both her and you by whatever means necessary and give this world back to itself," Darius vowed, and Thane finally looked at him as a man does to an equal.

"Your new father underestimates what he sired, Kay," Thane said softly, shifting his gaze to Darius.

"Take care of my child, or I will take care of you all."

Thane delivered the threat with an absolutely chilling lack of intonation. Darius growled at him, and only Adrian's hand on his arm kept him from pouncing, even though her light grip was to him as restraining as that of a child.

"You should realize we take care of our own," Claudia almost growled.

Kay felt hot and cold all over, her emotions in turmoil. Two months ago, no one seemed to care whether she lived or died, and now they were fighting over her. Another thought entered her mind—faking this rivalry and the dangerously strained peace would not be difficult and might be almost too convincing.

Akira's eyes on her distracted her from the strained tension. That eerily familiar gaze was like looking at her reflection in the mirror.

What she saw there, the turmoil, pain, and guilt, chipped a small piece of the ice from around her heart, and a tiny bit of warmth flowed into that broken, desolate place, yet it was not so broken or desolate anymore.

The kinship bond between them and the draw of their shared blood was stronger than Kay had ever experienced before and hard to deny, even to herself. Only three others tugged at her as strongly, and one of those was Thane, giving her a glimpse of the power of family in this world.

***

Darius nudged at her consciousness, not intruding, and as she mentally nudged back, the spell broke.

Were they about to be part of a war that might end them all, or were they framed? No one said a word, but they were all on the same page.

As Thane and Akira exited the room, her sister glanced back at her before disappearing from sight. No one could fake that kind of remorse or the sliver of hope she spied in those eyes.

"Should we invest in a sturdy pot of lubricant or get some sleep so we can figure this out before Azera plays her hand?" Darcy muttered, and they glanced at her, unable to do more than smirk at her droll humor, although they all felt far from smiling.

"With them, I suggest both options," Marcella said, getting off the couch and picking up her shoes.

"What do you think?" Marcus asked Kay.

How odd was it that he should trust her after learning her purpose in Azera's household? Who can guess what Thane was up to now?

"Siding with Marcella is wise," she said, and Adrian frowned as she laid her head against Darius's shoulder.

"But..." Adrian prompted, and Kay shrugged.

"There was something about the way Akira looked at me. It was as if she wanted me to... I don't know, and maybe I am too tired to think straight."

She wiped over her face with her hands and stood.

"But you believe it's the truth," Adrian concluded, and Kay sighed.

"The Azera thing is real. As for the rest? I am uncertain. They may be trying to manipulate us for their own benefit. On the other hand, I am not the most balanced person to ask about Azera. Perhaps I want to fuck her up so badly I would jump at any excuse to it."

Even though they tried to hide the pity in their eyes, they were angry on her behalf.

Daniella had a family, yet they seemed distant to Kay. Unreal, a memory of someone else's life. She was learning about family all over again, and the word's meaning had altered far beyond what she once could grasp.

I would not forgive them, ever. Newest Version ©2014-2023 All rights reserved. If you find this on any other platform but Wattpad under @CSDreamer, please report it. No part of this book may be copied or reposted without the author's permission.