Chapter Nineteen

Rayne's Pov

At Law's out burst I all but run out of the door and smack into Ace. The two of us end up crashing to the floor. Ace groans as he gently lifts me off of him, “What the hell?” Ace inquires.

“S-sorry, Law is just… in a bad mood…” I shiver at the way Law glared at me. I know it was cowardly to run but honestly I just didn't want to fuck things up further with him. I know that while we've gotten a lot better since before that I'm still not on good terms with him.

“What’s new, by the way how is Sam?”

“She looks like a corpse still but at least she’s sleeping a little better.” I stand up, “Come one let’s go get some food.” Perhaps dinner would get my mind off of what just happened.

Ace nods as he gets to his feet, “So what is the deal with Law and Sam anyways? I can tell that they aren’t just ‘good friends’.”

“Are you sure you want to know?” I feel a bit worried about telling Ace about their feelings they used to have. Though I have to say that I am curious about hearing Sam and Ace's story.

"Yes."

“They were at one time in a relationship.”

Ace's face twists in a mix of betrayal and anger as his devil fruit powers suddenly flare, “So she lied…”

“Uh I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about however he said that they were never really intimate. He said that he decided a long time ago to not further their relationship nor carry on with it, that they are simply friends and that was the end of it. Said she could never go through with her end of things so please put your flames out.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Law is fairly honest and right now he isn’t exerting any extra energy on anything else but helping Sam.”

“Are you jealous of Sam? I mean I know that you and Law are… well… something.” 

I smile and shrug my shoulders, “I have him now and I take what he says as the truth. So I’m just going to trust him and his word.” Of course I still have my doubts but I'm not about to trash talk Ace's wife in front of him. I don't have a death wish.

“I hope you’re right.”

The two of us make it to the galley and while Ace sits down I announce to the crew that Law was too busy trying to find a cure and wouldn’t be joining them. Everyone hunkered down a bit at the sound of ‘cure’; especially when they looked at Law. I grab a plate and load it up with food for Law. I'm actually thinking of having someone else take the food to him but they haven't been exposed to the virus as much as I have. I don't want any of them to catch it and then spread it further.

Exiting the galley I hurriedly make my way down the hallway. With two quick knocks on Law's medical bay door I enter quickly. Seeing him not even looking up from the virus strains I set the plate down on the table across the room from him and then exit out of the room. I shut the door behind me without so much as a look back and head into the galley. Unfortunately all hell has broken loose in my absence. 

Ace is face down in his food and the crew is freaking out. I run over to Ace and lift his head up. Making sure that his airways are clear I place two fingers to his pulse point to find his heart still beating. Checking to see if he's breathing I see that he's also breathing. Did he just fall asleep or something?

“Hey wake up!” Claire screams from her seat and throws her fork at Ace. It bounces off his head. 

Ace’s eyes peel open as he sits away from my grip on him, “Wha?”