The Quirky

AFTER CLASS

"So Holly, you got any plans for after school?" Andy wriggles her eyebrows at me and I shove her, smiling.

It's after the last block of the day, and we are both getting ready to go home.

"Yes I do!" I tell her proudly. "I'm going in the library!"

A look of playful disgust washes over her face. "Nerd!"

"Nuh- uh!" I say defensively. "I just have work to catch up on!"

"Okay," She says as she pats me on the back. "I hope you have fun working."

"I will, don't you worry."

After we say our goodbyes for the day, I start my trudge to the library.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little upset that I didn't have any of the new guys in any of my classes. I figured, 'Hey, there's seven of them, so you'd think at least one of them would be in there, right?' Nope. No luck for me.

Not that I even really wanted to see them that much. I get the feeling that all of them are big troublemakers

I hear the familiar chime of the doorbell as I open the library door.

I like the school library. It has tons of fun books, some old or some newer.

Goodness. Am I at that age where I say that books are fun? I need to live a little younger...

I take a seat at one of the tables, and pull out my notes. Only then do I notice that the library is basically empty, save for one guy who's sitting alone at the other side of the room reading a comic book.

I couldn't see his face, but I could see his roughed up brown hair sticking out from behind the book. He had his elbows propped up on the desk, and his feet were crossed under it.

From what I could tell, he had a faded leather jacket, ripped jeans, and black converse. Typical trouble wear. I thought.

I decide to ignore him. I don't need any association with trouble. I begin to write down notes from the book when I get a strange feeling I'm being watched.

I look up at the guy, only to see his head move just behind the book.

Okay. He was definitely watching me. Kinda creepy. Oh my goodness, what if he's a pervert who snuck in the school?!

I try to calm my nerves as I write some more notes down.

I look out of the corner of my eye to see if the guy was still there or not. I do a complete double take as I notice that he was gone.

Oh my goodness, where did he go? Did he leave? Is he behind me? Am I going to die?!

I turn my head back around to take notes.

"Boo."

"OH MY GOODNESS!" I yelp, nearly falling from my chair.

He laughs. "I got you!"

"Yeah you got me a heart attack!" I yell at him.

I just now notice that he's sitting in front of me, his book in his hand. His finger is in between the book pages, probably holding his place.

"Did I scare you?" He asks smiling.

"Yes!"

He laughs some more.