Chapter 27 - Satnavs and A Stolen Car

Chapter 27 - Satnavs and A Stolen Car

Marissa took a bite out of the sandwich and fought to keep the delight from manifesting into a groan of pleasure. She loved food and whoever cooked in this place was near-divine. She looked over at Roman who was looking at their partially blank map. Sure, there were bits and pieces that had been drawn in, but there weren't that many.

"I think there was another road along here," Randy said as another of the Sentinels sketched it in.

She let out a sigh and sat back, letting go of all thought of the map and the headache it was beginning to create just for her right between her eyes. They'd been at this for ages now and soon the sun was going to set. It was difficult enough to remember every street in a town that you'd been in for no more than an hour. But when you had to do it for almost six hours straight...it just generally wasn't a great thing to test out.

"This is pointless! It won't do us any good if we can't get into the town" That was about the fifth time that someone had said that. This time it was Bastian who was no sitting upside with his feet against the wall and his back on the sofa cushion; he said sitting like that made the blood rush to his head and would make for more brain activity because then there would be more oxygen for it to use. In a way, he reminded her a lot of a child. He kept squirming, fidgeting and generally just kept babbling. At the beginning of this little meeting, all of them had seemed silent and stoic but the longer they were stuck with each other, the more relaxed they got around each other.

She swallowed the mouthful of sandwich in her mouth before replying, "You can't say things like that because at the end of the day, I got out of there - a pretty weak human compared to you lot - yet here I am. If I can do it, you sure as heck can do it too."

"How did you get out of there?" Nicholas asked her. She like Nicholas, he was generally a happy and upbeat guys, except during the whole traitor incidence.

"Stole one of their cars," she said shrugging her shoulder as she took another bite.

"Damn, I would have loved to have seen that wolf go berserk," murmured one of the Sentinels.

Randy snickered, "Oh yeah, he definitely went berserk. That's the only reason Marissa got her chain torn off her neck; he grabbed onto it thinking he could pull her out of the car. Then he tried to leap onto it when that didn't stop him, but Marissa freaked out and accidentally pressed on the breaks and he landed in front of the car. He landed in front of it and she gassed it as fast as she could out of there."

A whistle went up in the air and Marissa found herself blushing and staring down at her food. She'd felt a pang of pain at the loss of her necklace and the prize it had held for her, but that was nothing compared to her embarrassment at having forgotten how to drive and hit the breaks instead of the gas.

"It was the single dumbest and best moment ever," Randy continued, chuckling as he took a bite of his sandwich.

Marissa looked up at him, trying to hide her embarrassment, "Hey, police cars do not work like RVs. There's a whole other system and you should just be thankful that-"

"Hang on!" called Nicholas. Marissa looked to him. He was sitting on the edge of his seat, a look of shock on his face, "Did you say police car?"

Marissa shrugged, "Well, if you want to be exact, it was a Sherriff's car. At least, that's what it said on the hood." At the sound of someone choking, she looked to her side and found Roman hitting his chest. She patted his back and he took a breath before looking at her.

"And the person you hit, was it Regan by any chance?" He asked her.

Her cheeks flamed red and that was all the shifters needed to hear before they erupted into full blown laughter. One was going red in the face and Nicholas was holding tightly onto his stomach. She smiled. She'd managed to distract them and Roman from the pain and trouble that their pack was in and in a way the car was now a trophy to commemorate the great escape.

After they'd taken the car, there'd been a satnav on the dashboard and it had lead them out of that town and straight back onto the road. Sadly, on their way past here, the car had run out of gas and they'd had to hide it. It really wasn't that long afterwards that Roman's pack had picked them up and she'd ended up locked in chains.

Her brain blanked for a second before she literally face palmed herself, "Damn how stupid can I be!" she berated herself.

"I think you were pretty smart to hit Regan with his own car, if you ask me," replied Nicholas, his deep laughter filling the room.

She shook her head, "No, that isn't what I'm talking about. Randy," she turned to him, "Do you remember where the car is?"

"What, you want to keep it here as a monument to his defeat, because I am all for it," Bastian grinned.

She rolled her eyes and sighed at the stupidity of some people, herself included, "No, but it has something inside it that we need. How the hell do you think we managed to get out of there that quickly and not get caught?"

The light just wasn't going on in anybody's head. Then she heard another face palm coming from Randy's direction and she knew he'd understood. "The satnav."

There was silence before two of the Sentinels were standing up and Roman was rushing over to his desk. He turned to her, "Do you remember where you left the car?"

"No, but I think Randy does. It isn't too far from where your pack picked us up so if you take him there, he can probably just trail our scents back to it."

Randy nodded and got up, waiting at the door with the two Sentinels for Roman's go ahead. He checked a few things on his computer, "They were picked up at around the North-West Border by the Sycamore fields." The two Sentinels nodded and left with Randy. "Everyone else, the meeting's over. Go and get ready for the Pack shift tonight. Sundown isn't too far off now." Everyone got up and left, taking their rubbish with them and their postures showing them to be relaxed and feel better that they had an advantage now.

Once they'd all left, it was just Marissa on one of those bean bag chairs and Roman at his desk, more relaxed then she'd seen him yet. "What's the Pack Shift?" she asked him.

He swivelled his chair around to face her and leaned forward, bracing his elbows on his knees. "The Pack Shift is the three day period every month where we shift to honour the Ghuarían's ceremony that gave all shifters their powers. One day before during and after the night of the full moon and the shift is were we all gather and change to our animal selves."

He got up, "We're actually supposed to head off now if we want to make it on time." He opened the door and stepped out, waiting for her to follow after him.

Marissa got up, but her brain had gone a little fuzzy. When he'd said they were going to shift, she'd thought it a wonderful thing. Then she'd realised that they would have to actually undress so that their clothes didn't tear apart. Thinking of just Roman, with no clothes, brought back memories of that dream. For the entire trip out of the house, she had to take deep breaths covertly and try not to hit her head repeatedly against the wall, because that image, that fantasy, of Roman with nothing on was driving her crazy with need.