Chapter 7 - Stupidity Comes in 3s

Marissa lifted the neck of her shirt over her face, trying not to breath in the thick smoke that was now clogging the air and mentally slapped herself at the dumbest thing she'd done that day.

At least I can tick off walking through fire off my non-existent bucket list, she mocked herself.

She looked down at Randy, "Can you sniff out any people in here?"

Randy whined and took off. Marissa followed after him.

The entire house was engulfed in flames. Paintings on the wall had peeled off their frames, most of the furniture was on fire or had already turned to ash. The stairs were slowly burning like the rest of the house, but they were only warm and creaked ominously as she and Randy made their way up to the first floor.

They carefully hopped across the ground, dodging burning curtains that were dropping left and right, making sure to avoid the small tables that were just catching fire. Randy made his way down a hallway and turned left.

Marissa had trouble keeping up with him as the smoke thickened, making her eyes water as she took each step.

As she turned down the hallway, she saw Randy scratching at a door and trying to break it down by slamming into it.

She pulled him back by the scruff of his neck, "On the count of three, ready?"

Randy nodded and she counted, "One...two...three!"

At the same time both of them slammed against the door and it opened a large enough gap into the bedroom behind it. Behind the door, a wardrobe had fallen and blocked the door from opening.

On the other side of the room, a woman had collapsed on the floor. Marissa got closer and saw that there was also an little girl that had curled up to the woman and was now crying.

"Shh, everything is going to be fine," she told the little girl as she picked her up. She put her onto Randy's back, "Hold as tight as you possibly can, make sure to keep your head down and don't let go for anything. Can you do all that for me?"

The little girl nodded and clung tightly to Randy.

Marissa turned back to the woman and picked her up over her shoulder. She wasn't strong, but the woman looked was quite thin and didn't weigh that much.

Carefully, she moved ahead of Randy, making sure to widen the gap between the door and their way out. She managed to maneuver herself and the woman through barely and Randy followed her with a coughing little girl on his back. She started heading back to the stairs but something fell up ahead and she heard a crashing sound.

"Get back!" she called out before she escaped having a beam topple and fall straight through the spot she'd been standing to the floor below.

She looked around her hurriedly.

This is so not the end....I still have to hit that guy that left us locked up!

Her eyes scanned over everything she could see through the thickening smoke. The girl's coughs reached her ears and she hurried her thoughts.

When she spotted a window at the very end of the hallway, she groaned at the stupid plan running through her head.

She turned back to the girl and Randy. "We need to get out and the only place that we can get out of is through that window."

Randy nodded in understanding and she led the way down the hall and looked out of the window. They'd made it to the front side of the house. People looked up at her and she put the woman in her arms down as they hurried below, probably to find something to catch them on.