Chapter 12 - Trapped

Twisting and kicking against whomever held her, Marissa tried as hard as possible to get free and make her escape before the people who belonged to the fast-approaching voices down the hallway caught up with her.

The figure spun her around and she suddenly came face to face with a pair of bright green glowing eyes looking down at her. She gulped, knowing exactly who those specific eyes belonged to and how she was completely and utterly trapped.

Dang it! She mentally screamed, So close!

Roman's eyes looked over her head and she looked over her shoulder to see a pair of men run to the door. A growl escaped from Roman and the two men backed away from the door hastily. She desperately wished that they would take her with them. When she felt the hairs on the back of her neck rise, she turned back around slowly to meet his angry gaze, "And what, exactly, did you think you were doing?"

She tried to hold onto some of the strength she'd had at the beginning of this escape attempt, "Can't a girl get some fresh air around here?" There wasn't a single clue that he'd even heard her. The silence between them was thick with his anger and her quickly diminishing strength.

But Marissa realized then that she'd done nothing wrong. She'd been locked away and as a prisoner; it was her obligation to escape. Anger thankfully flooded her systems again and she found herself glaring right back at him.

Tension flooded the room and neither one of them looked like they were going to give in. Seconds passed and Marissa knew she would hold out. But apparently her stomach hadn't understood her because at that moment it decided to rumble and gurgle, embarrassing her and making Roman's lips twitch slightly.

"And I was hungry," she finished lamely.

"I can tell," he said with an absolutely straight face, making her want to punch him as hard as she possibly could.

"Yeah, well you can shut those headlights off too. They're not exactly doing anything for you," she smarted off.

He smirked as he straightened up and folded his arms, "Really? And I thought they made my eyes pop."

"If you want your eyes to pop, all you had to do was ask," she smirked back sarcastically, "I'm very helpful like that."

"I bet." Was al he replied.

When Marissa's stomach went of again, he just shook his head and headed into the room behind him. Taking a chance, she looked around what looked to be an apartment. She was standing in a living room with a sofa and two bean bag chairs. The walls were a jewel green, lined with framed photos and against one of the walls was a thick wooden bookshelf. A coffee table sat in the centre of the room with a laptop perched on it. Beyond the doorway where Roman had stepped through seemed to be another room, probably a bedroom.

She looked over her shoulder and stared at the door. She could leave and he wouldn't be quick enough for her. On the other hand, the second he realized she was gone, not only would he chase and catch her but he'd probably make her entrapment here in this weird settlement worse. And she couldn't forget her friend. Randy didn't deserve to be left here all alone.

She turned back to the doorway he'd walked through and was startled to find him standing there, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I should be asking you that question, don't you think?. You could have run away just now," he nodded at the door.

Marissa shrugged, knowing that he was telling the truth, "And you would have caught me. Besides, I'm not leaving here without my friend so try and do your worst  because the second I have a chance, we're both getting the hell out of here."

Roman smiled a wide Cheshire cat grin and instantly she was wary. When he only stared at her, she asked, "What?"

He shook his head, "I had an idea." He walked into the living room a picked up the laptop from the table.

"Well?" she asked him again.

"You can't leave here and I can't trust you to be on your own, so you're going to have to stay here." He said as he moved around her towards the door.

"I'm what?!" she shrieked as she spun around to him.

"Well, that's the only viable solution. You're going to stay here and there is no way you can leave knowing as much as you do. Without our trust, it's too late for you." He sighed as he stepped out the door.

Marissa walked out the door after him. "I am going to get out of here," she told him as he shut the door.

He looked to her, "And where exactly are you going to go? We're in the middle of a forest where there are no human civilizations."

He walked away and Marissa was left staring in shock at the door. "How long are you going to keep me here?" Her question was a whisper.

"Just until we get the orb back," he said casually as he turned the corner.

With a goal in mind, she snapped out of her shock and chased after him.