Chapter 5 - Bottomless Pit of Food

Marissa stared at Randy as he ate his fifth helping of pancakes.

He looked up, not pausing as he stuffed another mouthful in, "What?"

Marissa barely dodged the food bits that had flown out of his mouth and moved in closer towards him so she could shout-whisper, "Randy, will you slow down? You're going to choke and I don't think I can remember all of my CPR training."

He paused and chewed the mouthful that he'd stuffed into his mouth before swallowing it.

"There, happy?" he asked as he raised his eye brow at her.

She almost growled at him. She hated it when he did that.

He looked at her face and smiled evilly.

He took another huge bite of his food and chewed it before sticking his tongue out at her and showcasing all the chewed food in his mouth.

"Eww!" she jumped back flinging some of the remaining drink in her cup at him.

He turned, barely escaping the soaking the rest of his head and shirt got from her drink.

When he turned back to her glaring, she glared right back, "I warned you before and it was your own fault."

He wiped the droplets of his head, "Well, yeah. But last time I checked, you warned me when we were in the second grade."

She rolled her eyes, "And your point is?"

"Last time you did that I ended up catching a cold because I had to go home with a wet head in the middle of winter."

She shrugged, but a soft smile lit up her face, "Yeah, and we've been best friends since."

Randy snorted, "More like nightmares trying to compete and see who'll drive the other to their grave first."

Marissa's smile filled her entire face, "Yeah, that too." She turned to look out of the window and watch outside the diner as cars passed on the road and people walked by happily in the sunlight.

Randy took a smaller bite of his food and behaved himself as he finished off.

Whilst she watched, Marissa thought on how everything was different now.

If there are werewolves in the world...could there be worse things in the dark?

She turned and looked at Randy who was now digging in to his second slice of pie that afternoon.

He's going to need my help, she thought, and I am not going to let him down.

Just as he looked up as though he was about to say something, the doorbell to the diner chimed and he super-sneezed the mouthful of pie across the table and at her plate.

"Oh that's just nasty," she grimaced, moving the plate as far away from as it could get without falling onto the floor.

"Sorry," he said through the tissue he held over his nose. "Atchoo!" he sneezed again and this time, Marissa just handed him a stack of tissues.

"I think we're going to have to pass the pharmacy and get some Benadryl. Must be you nose picking up some dust or something," she said as she dug into her backpack under the table.

"Are you new here?" a dark voice asked from above her, shocking her into hitting her head against the underside of the table before she moved from underneath it to look at the moron that had scared her into hurting herself.

But when she looked up....

Damn me, I swear I'm hallucinating.

The man that stood before her was tall with a lean frame encased in a Sheriff's uniform. His chocolate hair was slightly scruffy and his five-o'clock shadow as beguiling as his dark eyes. 

She almost swallowed her tongue as she lost her words. The look in his eyes had her shivering, but not from his utter gorgeousness. No, there was something in him. Something that her instincts told her to run the hell from as fast as she could and not look over her shoulder as she did it.

She shook her head, dispelling the dark thoughts, and tried to remember what he'd asked.

"Um...yeah. We're just passing through," she replied hesitantly.

The silence in his stare was interrupted by Randy's sneezing as it got louder and more frequent.

Marissa looked to her friend, more concerned for his well-fare than whatever the town Sheriff wanted from them.

"I think I need to get you to that pharmacy right now Ran." She turned, ignoring the Sheriff completely and waving to the waitress who came over quickly to their table.

"We'll just take everything else to go and the check please." The woman nodded, her moves very careful as she moved about and came back to them with the check and small containers for their food.

Marissa packed them away as she asked, "Is there a pharmacy round here?" she asked the waitress.

The waitress looked to the stony-eyed Sheriff before answering her. "Yes, it's on the other side of town."

Marissa smiled her thanks, picked up her bag and dragged a sneezing Randy as fast as she could bolt.

Once they'd made it round the corner, she let out the breath she'd had no clue that she was holding. She looked to Randy who's sneezing had calmed down a lot, enough for him to even remove the twentieth tissue from his nose and smile at her in reassurance.

She smiled back before looking around for a way to get to the other side of town.

Spotting a large park, she pulled Randy along so that he could keep up with her long stride as they walked through the entrance to the park.

It truly was beautiful. The grass was a healthy green, filled with blooming flowers and trees growing tall all over. People sat about relaxing on the grass and having picnics. People in suits sat on the benches that were placed all over the park, eating their lunch.

The air was full of chatter and the sweet smell of life as they walked through.

Randy even managed to take in a deep breath, which relaxed him before his sneezing started up again.

"Come on. We can come back and chill for a while till the car get's fixed," she said as the sound of gurgling water got louder.

As they continued down the winding path, up ahead appeared a large fountain. The edge was stone-work with crafted panels on the side depicting forest scenes from what little she could see. The centre piece was a stone wolf howling at what had to be the moon. A silver metal disk curved around the wolf's head.

But what really caught her eye was the dazzling amber ball that had been suspended in the centre of that silver ring.

It shone, the light inside it refracting and seemingly dancing deep within it. The water held it's chimes as they tried to bounce past the spray that the wolf was spurting into the fountain.

"Hold it!" called a voice, pulling her out of her story.

A/N: OK, I know that I haven't posted for a while but I was out in the middle of nowhere with no service. To say sorry, I present to you with two beautifully hilarious (in my opinion) chapters and gift you with a picture of the dark Sheriff in the multimedia sect to help you along. Isin't he just perfect?