Chapter 12 - Crash and Burn

The next morning, we all stood outside of Aether House in the light of the rising Sun. The tide was low, and the footpath past Route 15 had become clear.

"Our helicopters are about ten minutes that way." Alfred pointed with a smirk.

"Well then move, before the tide rises." Kiria wasted no time, taking the lead.

"You sure you're ok with this, Sis? Running away for real, I mean?" Acerola asked her sister as we began to walk.

"M-me? What about you? I am supposed to be your older sister – I should be the one worrying about you." Alicia swallowed.

"Mmm, yeah, thanks for the concern but you don't have to worry about me."

"Not long now." I said to Nelly. "We'll meet up with Megan and put an end to all of this."

"I really hope so." She sighed.

We walked along the beach and back onto a solid path, following it for a while until Alfred pointed out a small airfield through an opening onto a field. There in the distance, two small black helicopters were sitting, well-hidden from a distance by foliage.

"Yes! They're still here!" He clenched his fist.

"Why do you sound so surprised?" Kiria teased. "I thought you knew they were here."

"...You can't just let me have this one, Ice Queen?" Alfred sulked.

"Hmph. Come on. Watch out for thorns, we're going through the bushes."

Our group slowly shifted through the greenery and out into the open space.

*

Petrel and his goons had been running from the soldiers of the castle for hours before they eventually lost them the previous night. He and dozens of Team Rocket grunts had made it to their cargo helicopter and collapsed with exhaustion and humiliation. Once again, their targets had evaded them. Petrel was now staring at the vehicle in the early morning light, still mad at how he had been outsmarted and left to freeze.

"He'll kill me if I don't come back with anything..." He sighed.

"You always were an idiot." A feminine voice came from behind.

Petrel turned to see a fellow Team Rocket Executive. "Ariana?" He growled. "What are you doing here? Boss put me in charge of this operation!"

The woman with a white coat emblazoned with the Team Rocket insignia unfolded her arms and ran a hand through her red hair.

"Do you have a brain under that stupid haircut?" She stepped forward, pointing at his purple do'.

"Eh?"

"You failed your mission, so Giovanni sent me to clean up your mess."

"Boss did what?!" Petrel was heartbroken. "But I can still catch those kids!"

"Idiot!" Ariana slapped him, her golden earrings sparkling in the light of the Sun. Petrel's grunts stepped down in fear. "Those kids were already dealt with by Proton! Did you not realise that you've been wasting your time? He already took their Pokemon! The ones they have now are mere weaklings in comparison! Giovanni has no need for any more of their Pokemon! Your job was to go after the other members of the Japanese national team that were staying back at the resort!"

"Ack!" Petrel came to the realisation that he had been completely sidetracked.

"And now because of your incompetence, those two have fled Alola already. I know because I went after them before coming here – but your stupidity allowed them to get away!"