Chapter 2

EDITED. 4/1/18.

"WHERE WERE YOU?!" Luna bellows, stuffing her face full of the KitKat's I got from the gas station.

"I told you guys I was going to the gas station," I shrug.

Kayla rolls her eyes. "But we were busy."

"Clearly," I scoff, dumping another handful of M&M's into my palm.

Luna burps loudly. "Solid six and a half," she murmurs to herself. She has this game where whenever somebody burps, she rates it on a scale of one to ten to see who's gotten the best burp ever. It's pointless, really. She can't even remember her own locker combination.

If you were wondering, it's her birthday.

"Really?" Kayla asks. "I was gonna say four."

"Yeah, well, you're wrong." Luna squints at Kayla, and I know that there's another brawl coming on.

"Hey, guys! Look," I comment, holding the candy in front of their faces. "It's filled with sugar and you love it."

"Ooooh," Luna and Kayla squeal in unison, snatching the rest of the bag from my hand.

"I'm going out," Haiden, my older brother announces. "Call me if you need anything." With this, he plants a kiss on my forehead and saunters out the door.

"Why does he have to be so hot," Kayla drawls.

I grimace in disgust. "Please, keep your thoughts of my brother to yourself." I grumble, finishing off the pack of M&M's.

"Mkay..." Kayla chuckles.

"Well I don't think of your brother in that way." Luna beams. "So that makes me your best friend."

Kayla sends a deathly glare Luna's way.

Here we go again.

~•~

Luna and Kayla are passed out on the couch due to a sugar crash, which doesn't surprise me. Around seven in the evening, Haiden walks through the front door.

"Hey," he greets, plopping himself on the cushion next to me. He wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer to him. I snuggle into his chest.

"Where've you been?" I ask, my voice partially muffled.

"Just at a friend's house," Haiden shrugs. I nod. "You know I love you, right?" Haiden blurts.

I pull back and crease my brow.

"Yeah...? Why?" I question.

Haiden sighs. "Just missing Mom and Dad, is all."

I burrow my head deeper into his chest while he wraps another arm around me.

"Do you think Aunt Caroline will visit this week?" I mumble.

Haiden sighs again. "I don't know, Lee." He strokes my hair. "But she'll be here soon, I hope."

I nod, and someone pokes my shoulder.

"Hadley, I'm hungry," Luna grumbles, her hair in tangles over her face.

"There's a kitchen over there," I respond, chuckling a little.

"Ugh." Luna stands and trots to the kitchen, pulling out a beer.