Chapter 41

The Dead Horse Saloon looked the same as the dozens of others she'd seen in the last few months.  Except for one thing - a crudely made sign that had been haphazardly tacked beside the front door that read "Home of the ugliest whores west of the Mississippi." 

Evie's face went pink as she and Preacher read the sign.  They exchanged bewildered looks before riding on towards the livery stable. The sun was low in the western sky as they rode northward through the small town of Tularosa, New Mexico.  They were exhausted.  They were hungry.  And they knew their horses felt the same way.  They had ridden until nearly dawn before they'd stopped at a homestead somewhere south of Mesquite and were generously provided with a warm place to rest for a few hours.  Evie hated to lie to the friendly couple who were so kind to them, but she had little choice if she hoped to get to the boys on time.  She had told them that she and her brother, the minister, were on their way north to console a dear friend who had just lost her husband.  With great sympathy they had offered them a hot breakfast and a warm spot in the barn to sleep.  They had slept for a few hours, while giving the horses a chance to rest and eat.   Mr. and Mrs. Bennett and their three handsome little boys had refused any payment for their troubles.   But before they had ridden out, Evie had fished out a couple of the gold coins she had stashed in her saddle bags and left them on the front door step.  She was so thankful that Aunt Livvy had given her that bag of coins the day they had went shopping in Cold Springs.  She had spent little of it and the rest of it had been tucked away in the drawer of her wardrobe ever since.  She had packed it in her saddle bags last night and knew without even counting it that there was several hundred dollars in gold coins inside.  They were going to need it.  They needed fresh horses.  They couldn't hope to make it to Rising Gulch on these horses after the hard ride they'd been put through today.  Evie would leave enough money with the stable master  for Rusty to be fed and stabled until she was able to come back and get  him. 

Evie climbed out of the saddle and sighed.  She was so tired.  Her body was sore from the hours of hard riding.  She hadn't spent this much time in the saddle since she and Joshua were out in the wilderness of the Trans Pecos.  Her heart caught in her throat just thinking about the time they had spent together.  He had sacrificed so much for her.  And now she would do the same for him.  No matter what the cost, she would not leave him stranded and at the mercy of a man who meant to kill him.  She felt in her saddle bags for the purse.  As she removed some coins she thought of Livvy.  She wondered how long it had taken Livvy  to realize she was gone.  She was furious not doubt.  And worried.  She had probably marched into the sheriff's office in Red Rock and demanded that he take off in search of her.  Evangeline wouldn't have been surprised to see the cavalry ride in at any moment in search of her.  I'm sorry, Evangeline.  Truly I am.  Evie recalled her aunt's words from last night before she had locked her in the bedroom.  I'm sorry too Livvy, but you left me no choice.

"Excuse me, sir, we would like to get two fresh horses, please,"  she said as she extended her hand which held several coins.  "We'll keep the same saddles and gear we have.  And I'd like to...."   Evie's words trailed off as the stable master held up a hand and shook his head.

"I'm sorry, ma'am.  I can't do it.  I got a telegram earlier today that said Sherman McMaster and the posse that's after Heyes and Curry will be riding in here about sundown and they need every horse I've got.  I sure wish I could help you, but that takes priority."

Evie and Preacher turned surprised faces to each other.  They couldn't believe their ears.  The posse that they thought they were trailing was behind them.   How had they managed that when they had been a day behind?  "Are you the only livery in town?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'm afraid so."

"I'll pay extra.  I'll pay double even.  Please, we have to have fresh horses.  Ours are exhausted and we need to get north as soon as possible."

"I'm sorry, miss, truly I am.  But I just can't do it."   He shook his head with a look of genuine sympathy.

There seems to be a lot people who are truly sorry these days, she thought.  Evie resigned herself to the fact that fresh horses were not in the immediate future.  She sighed.  "Well, can you at least take a look at our horses'  shoes.  Make sure they're alright to keep riding.  We've got important business up north and we've got to be moving out as soon as possible."

"No problem.  I'll check them out right now.  Nothing for me to do now except wait for that posse to ride in anyway.  But if your in such a hurry ma'am, there's a stage due here soon that's headed north."