Chapter 46

Heyes felt like his lungs were on fire.  He hadn’t run this fast or this far since he was a boy.  He could see the light up ahead.  He burst through the doorway to be greeted by a cocked and loaded Colt .45. 

“Heyes?  Aw, no.  What's the matter?”  Kid asked as he reholstered his gun.

Heyes stood there for a moment trying to catch his breath.  Breathing heavily he explained,  “Riders coming from the canyon.  Probably the posse.  I think they spotted Preacher when he was out yesterday.  They were headed straight for us.”

"Do you think they found the empty well?"

"I don't know, but we don't have much choice.  We've got to go that way.  If it's McMaster he won't stop until he finds this place so we've got to move and that's the only place to go."

"I'll grab the canteens and some food.  You pour some water on the fire."

"You sure you're up to it, Kid?  It's a long crawl and I know you're not a hundred percent yet."

"Heyes, do I have a choice?"

"No."

They grabbed what they needed, put out the fire and on hands and knees disappeared into the crawl space that led to the abandoned well in the canyon. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

McMaster stopped, bringing the other three people behind him to a halt.  Evie was sandwiched between McMaster's back and Hershel's front.  Joe brought up the rear.  McMaster sniffed the air.   "There's a fire burning somewhere.  We're close.  Just how much further is it would you say?"  he turned and looked Evie dead in the eye.

Using her best poker face she gave away nothing as she defiantly met his gaze, but remained silent.  They walked on.  They had been walking for nearly an hour so Evie knew they were almost there.   She knew it wouldn't be long before he found what he was looking for.  She prayed that the other entrance hadn't been found and the boys were safely on their way towards it.

"I'm going up ahead to check it out.  You two stay here with her.  If you hear shooting, be ready to back me up,"  McMaster told Joe and Hershel, before he eased his way further into the blackness ahead of him.

When the glow from McMaster's torch could no longer be seen,  Evie sagged against the earthen wall of the passageway.  She had to think.  She knew the boys were on their way to the canyon, but what could she do to keep him from finding the hole in the wall that she knew they had escaped through?   If he found it she knew he would follow them into it.  Dear, Lord, they needed a miracle.  Her mind was awhirl with thoughts.  Thoughts of the boys, of Livvy, of Sally.  Poor Sally.  She was so preoccupied with her thoughts that at first she hardly noticed that the two men beside her were speaking in whispered voices.

"If he don't come back with Curry and Heyes, or at least one of 'em,  I say we all pack up and get out of here,"  Joe whispered to his fellow deputy.

"That's what I say.  And the rest of the men feel the same way.  He's carried this thing too far.  Makes me a might uneasy being down here."   Hershel moved the flaming torch he carried to illuminate one of the many chambers that made up this underground maze.   "See here how most of it's starting to cave in.  With it raining and all, there's no telling when the whole thing could come down on top of us."   He loosened the collar of his shirt.  "Makes a man feel a bit like he's suffocating."

"Yeah, I know what you mean.  If them outlaws want to risk being down here in this oversized grave then more power to 'em.  But I'm ready to get outta here.  And now he's done dragged these poor people into it.  Whoever heard of a minister of the gospel telling a lie?"   Joe turned apologetic eyes to her.  "We're awful sorry about this, miss.  We're just following orders.  Even if we don't agree with them.  Sometimes we ain't sure if that man's right in the head."

So there was a little dissension in the ranks, huh?   "Oh, that's alright.  I understand.  So where exactly are you fellas from?"

"Cold Springs, Texas, ma'am."

"You're a long way from home, then.  How long have you been chasing these outlaws?  Did you say it was Curry and Heyes?"

"That's right, ma'am,"  Joe explained.  "They was spotted in Cold Springs five days ago.  We've been hot on their heels ever since."

"Well, I won't exactly say hot,"  Hershel countered.  "We could have caught them day before yesterday, but McMaster told us not to fire on them.  Burt and a few of the others did fire and hit one of them I'm pretty sure.  McMaster wasn't too happy about that.  Maybe that's why old Burt set out for home early.  He was nervous being on McMaster's bad side."

"He wants to take them down himself,"  Evie thought aloud. 

“Yeah, that’s the way it seems.  I reckon them two gave him the slip in this very same place a few years back.  He’s been looking to settle the score ever since.  And seems determined to make sure that it happens here in this place."

“A man with a grudge and a score to settle.  Must make for real pleasant company.”

“You have no idea, ma’am.  He’s hell bent on taking Heyes and Curry in dead.”

“But Heyes and Curry aren’t killers.  Everyone knows that they never killed anybody in their robberies.  And I read in a newpaper a few days ago that there haven’t been any crimes committed by Heyes and Curry in almost a year."

“We know.  We just don’t know what we can do about it.”

"So you'll just watch while he guns down two men who have never murdered any one?" Both men looked sheepishly at the ground.  "Sounds to me like he's the one that needs to be arrested."   She could see the shame on their faces as they avoided eye contact with her.   "But I guess getting a share of the reward will be worth it in the end,  huh?    Maybe it's just me, but I sure wouldn't have any fun spending that money knowing how I got it."

The men remained silent and Evie could tell they were thinking about what she had said.   They stood there is silence for what seemed like an eternity.  Where was McMaster?  Why hadn't he returned?  Evie was starting to worry.  She knew he had had plenty of time to reach the boy's hiding place.  He must have found the other tunnel and had followed them in. 

"He's been gone an awful long while, don't you think?  Maybe we oughta go check,"   Joe said.

"Yeah, I guess we should."   Hershel moved forward motioning Evie to move ahead of him.  They didn't get very far before they saw the glow of a torch around the bend up ahead.   She expected to see his cold blue eyes any second, but stopped in her tracks when she was met with a pair of warm brown eyes instead. 

She gasped.  Hannibal Heyes stood in front of her, his hands raised in the air.  Behind him Kid Curry stood, hands in the air, looking pale and groggy.  Evie could see the crimson stains on his fresh shirt beneath the opening of his sheepskin coat.  Crawling  through the tunnel had reopened his wounds and had sapped what little strength he had regained.  Her eyes darted from Heyes to Kid and back to Heyes.  She saw weariness and defeat in both of their gazes.  She opened her mouth as if to speak, but a slight shake of Heyes'  head unnoticed by everyone else, told her to keep her mouth shut. 

"What did I tell you,  men?   I knew they were down here somewhere.   They thought they had out smarted me again.  But little did they know that I had both entrances covered.     Me and Jesse trapped them in the middle of the tunnel that leads to the well in the canyon.   You should have seen the look on their faces when they knew they were caught.  It's almost as priceless as the look on your woman's face right now, Curry.  Or is it Heyes?  I guess it don't really matter none now, does it?  Now, let's get going boys.  You've got a long walk back to the canyon."

There was nothing Evie could do.   Her mind was numb.  She couldn't think.  She could barely breathe. She couldn't move.   Evie kept glancing over her shoulder at the boys as they made their way back to the entrance, until McMaster ordered her to walk at the front of the line, severing her silent contact with her beloved.   By the time they reached the tunnel entrance where Preacher and the other members of the posse waited, she could tell that Kid was nearly exhausted.   When they ascended the slope to step out into the blinding light of day,  Kid stumbled and fell forward into Heyes' back.  Heyes and Evie both moved to help him. 

"Get your hands on top of your head, Heyes,"  McMaster ordered.   "And keep looking forward."  Heyes glared at his captor, but complied, not wanted to take chances with Evie here so close.    "You,"  he looked at Kid who had fallen no his knees,  "get on your feet."   He gave Kid a not so easy nudge with his booted foot.

Evie dropped to her knees beside Kid.  "Stop it!  This man is wounded and he needs medical assistance.   Can't you see he's bleeding."   She pressed her hand to the wound in his shoulder as she helped Kid stand.   He leaned heavily on her for support. 

"Joe,  you and Hershel take the girl and the padre to get their horses.  Then you make sure they ride on northward like they said they were supposed to be doing.   I'll be taking my prisoners back to the canyon."

Evie ignored Joe and Hershel  who stood waiting for her to submit to the lawman's authority.  She watched as the two unnamed deputies mounted their horses and took the reins of McMaster's horse.  He was going to make them walk back to the canyon at gunpoint. "Surely you don't expect a man in this condition to walk another five miles to the canyon?"  she asked with a scowl on her face as she held Kid around his waist with both arms. 

"That's none of your concern, now, is it?   Now get going and be thankful I'm letting you get on your horses and ride out of here.    If you stick around any longer I might be forced to put you under arrest for helping two outlaws escape justice."

Heyes turned slightly, just enough so she could see his eyes.  Do what he says, was written all over his face.  But he's going to kill you her eyes flashed back. 

Evie felt hands grasp her arms and urge her backward.   Heyes still looked over his shoulder to meet her gaze.  It's alright.  I'm ready for what ever happens, and don't you dare give away that you know me, his eyes seemed to say.  She couldn't believe this was happening.  She had to do something.  But what?  The boys were surrounded by three armed men.  She and Preacher by two.  She felt helpless.   Even more helpless than she had felt when she was sitting at Harlan Mathis' feet while her family were being murdered.    She kept glancing backward until they disappeared over the hill toward the canyon, prodded like cattle the whole way.   She fell in step with Preacher as they  marched eastward towards their horses, lead at gunpoint by deputy Hershel.   Preacher carried his saddle while Joe carried hers.   Why, God, why?  After all that we've been through to be together, why would you let it end this way?   Please send us a miracle.

The mist of rain began to fall heavier and steadier.  Perfect weather for the way she felt.  Cold, wet and miserable.  They topped a small hill and looked down upon the valley where Preacher had left Rusty and his horse loosely tethered to graze.  But the two horses were not alone.  Standing magnificently proud beside Preacher's horse stood Odin.  Seeing the beautiful black that Hannibal had worked so hard to train and teach made her heart squeeze painfully in her chest.  But Odin wasn't alone.  He was flanked by a saddled grey gelding.

"Hey, Hershel, ain't that Burt's horse?"

"Yep, his was the only gray in the bunch."  The two men exchanged puzzled looks then started he descent into the small valley.  They stopped in their tracks when they stumbled upon a fresh, shallow grave dug into the soft ground of the hillside.   Sticking out of the crumbling earth were a pair of men's booted feet.   The two men began to remove mud and dirt with their bare hands.  Evie and Preacher looked questioningly at each other, not sure what to think.

"Sweet merciful God!  It's Burt.  He's been shot in the head."

Evie put the whole thing together in a second.  "Didn't you say Burt had fired at those two outlaws and McMaster wasn't happy about it?"  she asked the stunned men.

"Yeah.  And he told us that Burt had come to him and said he was tired and was headed home.   But he would have went south, not north."

"He did this.  Don't you see?   He murdered the man simply because he was angry at him for shooting at two men he wanted to kill.  You've got to stop him.  We have to get back there so we can help them.  He wants to kill them and they don't deserve that."

They remained silent thinking about what she had said.

"You said yourself the man's not right in the head.  If this doesn't prove that then what will," she said as she pointed to the dead body of the unfortunate Burt.  When they still didn't respond, she resorted to begging.  "Please, you've got to go back and stop him.   McMaster was right.  We do know them.  And yes they've committed some crimes in their past, but they are good men.  They haven't committed any crimes for a year. And they've never killed anyone.   They are trying to start over and live a straight life.  But they won't get the chance if you don't go and help them.   McMaster needs to be the one under arrest."   The two men stood silent.    "If you won't stop him then let us go so we can."

The two men stood staring at each other.  Then finally Hershel said,  "You're right ma'am.  He's done this as sure as the world.  But you need to let us take care of McMaster.   A young lady like you has no business dealing with the likes of him.  Joe, let's cover Burt's body up good and proper so no animal's will get to him."

"There's no time for that.  I'm sorry about your friend, but there's nothing you can do for him .  But you can save two lives if you'll get on one of those horses and ride.  Please.  They will be dead if you wait any longer,"    she pleaded.

"I'm sorry about that ma'am.  Really I am, but we knew this man.  He was our friend and we ain't gonna leave him here for coyote food."

Preacher cleared his throat,  "Uh, gentleman, as a minister of the gospel, I feel it's only appropriate that I should say a few words of prayer and read a little from the Good Book."  Evie caught on quickly.  Preacher pulled his hat low over his eyes to shield his face from the rain as he pulled his little Bible from his pocket.  He opened it and began to read.  As he read, Hershel and Joe listened with lowered heads.  Evie eased herself further down the hill towards the horses.  Inch by inch she went unnoticed.  Her eyes met Preacher's and he knew what to do.  "Let us bow our head for a word of prayer."   As soon as the men had their heads down and their eyes closed, Evie sprinted as fast as she could down the slippery hillside and grabbing Rusty's mane, pulled herself onto his back and dug her heels into his flanks.  He took off like a shot.  She looked briefly over her shoulder to see Joe and Hershel running for the other horses.  But she knew that Odin would never allow them on his back and  the other two were no match for Rusty's speed. 

Rain pelted her face as she sped southwest towards the canyon.  The wind caught her hood and whipped it from her head.  She bent low over Rusty's neck and held tight to his mane as the chestnut accelerated into a full gallop.   She didn't even notice the chill of the air or the dampness of the rain as Rusty carried her to her beloved.  She had to get there before it was too late.  She didn't know exactly what she was going to do when she did get there, but she knew she had to get there.  She'd work out the details when she did.   The adrenaline pumping through her veins and the love and desperation in her heart  drove out any fear she may have had.  She just prayed she wasn't too late.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~

Heyes' nimble mind couldn't come up with the answer.  Try as he might he couldn't think of one single thing that was going to keep him and the Kid from dying today.  He knew Sherman McMaster wanted them dead.  And he knew he wanted to make a grand spectacle of the whole thing.  He was walking to his own execution.  He didn't even think his silver tongue could talk them out of this one.  He was just thankful that Evie wasn't going to be here to witness it.  If only she and Preacher had ridden out ten minutes sooner, they never would have known they had been captured.  And she wouldn't have had to see him and Kid being herded off like cattle being taken to slaughter.  They had walked for three or four miles now with steady rain falling the whole time.   Heyes coat was completely soaked and he was beginning to feel the dampness reach through to his shirt.  Water had collected on the brim of his hat and ran in a staggered stream off the front edge.  What a miserable day to die.   He wished he and the Kid could just run for it.  Better to go down in a blaze of glory making a run for it than this.  But Heyes knew without looking back that Kid wasn't in any condition to run.  At that very moment, Kid stumbled behind him and fell forward, grabbing hold of Heyes' narrow hips to keep from falling face first into the muddy ground.  Heyes' turned swiftly and knelt to help his friend.  He knew he had only a few seconds before McMaster and his minions would be there shoving a shotgun barrel into his back, forcing him to keep walking.  He used those few seconds to say what he most needed to say,  "I'm sorry, Kid.  I don't know how to get us out of this one."   Kid turned blue eyes full of resignation to his partner.  He too had come to the realization that there wasn't going to be any rescue this time.  They had used up al of their favors and miracles.  "It's alright, Heyes.  I'm sorry I couldn't protect you better." Brown eyes penetrated the gaze of his blue eyed partner for what they figured would be the last time, before they were both hauled to their feet and shoved forward ever closer to the canyon that would serve as their headstones.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The canyon was up ahead.  She could see it.  As fast as Rusty had carried her here, she was surprised she hadn't overtaken them before they could make it to the canyon.  She reined Rusty in and started the slow walk down into the canyon.  She heard the voices before she ever saw the men who were speaking.

"So is this how it's going to go down, McMaster?   You're going to be our judge, jury and executioner?   We never killed any one and you know it.   Do your men know that this is more about a personal vendetta than about justice?"

She recognized Hannibal's voice.   She could hear the desperation in his voice and she knew that in spite of his outward stoic appearance, he was scared.  Nobody except her and Kid Curry would have ever detected the slight nervousness in his voice.  The thought of him being frightened made her protective instincts kick in and the adrenaline pump even harder.   She urged Rusty on a little quicker down the rocky slope that led to the canyon floor as she continued to listen to their voices.

"All my men need to know is that you two are wanted...dead or alive.  You see, I sent the two men I had with me to fetch the rest of the posse.  But wouldn't you know it...before they get back,  you,"  he pointed to Kid who was struggling to stay upright, "are going to pull this gun that you had hidden in your boot."    McMaster pulled the Derringer from his pocket.  "And when you try to shoot me,  I'll be forced to kill you in self defense.   And you,"   he pointed his pistol at Heyes.  "Well, you just couldn't let me get away with killing your partner, so you go for his gun to finish what he started, but I'm going to be a little bit too fast for you and get the drop on you.  My men will hear the shots and come running.  But they won't get here before I've had time to place this gun in your dying hand, Heyes.   You see I've got it all planned out.  I outsmarted you, and you get to die knowing that I outsmarted you.  But the whole world will think I'm a hero for bringing the notorious Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry to justice.  And nobody can say I murdered you in cold blood.  It will be self defense."

"What about Burt?  Was that self defense?"

All three men turned their heads to the north wall of the canyon.

McMaster eyed the pretty young woman  sitting atop the bare backed stallion.  So she really had been with the outlaws.  He had had his doubts for a moment, but not any more.  "You know you're really becoming a thorn in my  side, lady.  Now get on out of here before I'm forced to do something I don't want to do."

"Like what?  Murder me because I messed up your plans?"

"She's got nothing to do with this, McMaster.  This is between you and us.  Leave her out of it,"  Heyes warned.

A smarmy smirk covered McMaster's face.  "Well, I guess that answers the one question that's been bugging me.  Which one is it?  Heyes or Curry.  You know I didn't think you were the type to fall for the ladies Heyes.  I thought that was the Kid."

"It's over McMaster.  Joe and Hershel found Burt's body.  They're headed this way now to place you under arrest."

"You can't prove a thing.  Burt headed out last night and I guess he met up with trouble.  I'm the law.  Who do you think a judge will believe?  Me or  the whore of a thieving outlaw?"

McMaster turned his gun back to Heyes who started towards him with blood in his eyes.  "Hold it right there or I'll splatter you all over that canyon wall right now while she watches."  Heyes swallowed the anger that was boiling up in his throat.  He turned fury filled eyes to Kid who was also starting to seethe in spite of his weakness.   "Well,  seems I struck a nerve.  There must be something to this little gal for you to get all worked up over her, Heyes.  Maybe after I'm through with you two, I'll find out for myself." 

"It's over McMaster.  You've lost.  So your insults don't bother me.  Joe and Hershel know the truth.  So will the rest of your men.  Just give up.  You're not  going to get to exact your revenge."

"Sure I will.  I just have to make a few adjustments that's all.  Besides, you're not armed.  How are you going to stop me from killing these two?"

Evie threw back her cloak to reveal the .54 derringer she had been carrying in her boot since she'd left Red Rock.  "Because Kid Curry taught me a few things.  And one thing he taught me was to always have a weapon hidden somewhere.  A woman can't be too careful these days.  You shoot them... I shoot you."

Heyes couldn't believe she was doing this.  Was she crazy?   Heyes made eye contact with her.  What do you think you're doing he managed to say silently. 

"You're bluffing.   You ever shoot a man before?  It's not an easy thing to do.  You don't have the guts, sweetheart."

"Nobody calls me 'sweetheart' except Hannibal Heyes.  And speaking of Hannibal Heyes, he taught me a few things too.  And one thing he taught me was to only bluff if you had nothing to lose.  Well those two men are everything to me.  That means I have  everything to lose.  So I'm not bluffing.  Or you can make a move and find out for yourself."

"You better listen to her McMaster.   I know her pretty well and she's not afraid to shoot,"  Heyes reasoned. 

"The only way you can stay alive is to let Heyes and Curry go with me.  You can make up any excuse you want about how they escaped.   Yeah, you'll be humiliated again, but at least you'll be alive."

"Or maybe I'll just shoot you first.  End of problem."

"You shoot me, and the buzzards won't even be able to find all the pieces of you.  Remember my preacher friend?   He's got a sawed off double barrel .44 caliber shotgun aimed at you right now."  McMaster's cold, evil eyes darted nervously about the ridge of the canyon where Evie had descended.

"You know I'm telling the truth.  You saw his weapons.  It wasn't hard, getting away from those two deputies.  They were so distraught over their friend, Burt, they didn't pay much attention when Preacher and I jumped on our horses and took off.  So you've got two choices.  Either let them go or die."

McMaster mulled it over for a moment.  His cold eyes scoured the ridge top again for any sign of Preacher.  "Oh, you won't see him.  He's too clever for that.  But if you don't drop that weapon in five seconds he's going to blast you to Kingdom Come."