Chapter 14

They had ridden almost all day without stopping.  They had both been sleeping so soundly in their cliff side shelter that they hadn't awakened until late morning.  They had ridden in a southeasterly direction towards the river.   Joshua wanted to make up lost time and they were both anxious to be off this trail and into a nice hot bathtub.  He was hoping that getting Evie into town where she felt safe would stop the nightmares.  And it would put an end to all this alone togetherness.  He'd barely dodged a bullet last night.  He couldn't believe how irresponsible he had been last night.  Or how little self control he had.  The sooner they were back in civilization the better.   He'd contact her kin, make sure she was provided for and then he and Kid would be on there way.  Right.  Good.  Nothing to worry about.  

He was also hoping that getting into town would  stop this nagging feeling he had that trouble was coming.  But before he could hope too long,  his worst fears were realized.  A lone rider was approaching from the south and he was riding hard.   He was a good distance away and wouldn't reach them for a few minutes.  But it was plain to see he was headed straight for them.  He  had to think quick.  He had no idea who it was or what their intentions were.  If it was one of that cutthroat gang he had to be ready.

"Somebody's coming."  He motioned toward the rider as he  dismounted and helped Evangeline down.  "It's probably best if whoever it is thinks I'm alone.  That way I can size up the situation, and see if  it's safe."  He untied the mule's lead and led her behind a large outcropping of rocks where she wouldn't be seen.  

"You stay behind these rocks with Jenny.  You have the rifle cocked  and ready.  If anybody except me steps around these rocks,  you shoot first and ask questions later.  Then you get on this horse and you ride south as fast as he'll carry you.  Don't look back and don't worry about me.  You got that?"

Everything was happening so fast she didn't know what to say or do.  She wanted to beg him not to go.  She wanted him to hide with her and just wait whoever it was out.  Or go with him, rifle in hand,  and stand together to face whoever was coming.  But he wasn't giving her any options. 

 "Whoever it is has already spotted us.  It's best if I ride out and meet him.  Hopefully he's too far away to realize there's two of us.  I'll feel better if he doesn't even know you're around.   You stay here and don't make any noise.  It's probably nothing to worry about but I'm not taking any chances.  Stay out of sight and don't move from this spot until I come and get you, understand?"   He turned to walk away.

"I'm not leaving you,"  she said to his retreating back.

He spun around to pin her with an incredulous look.  "What?"

 "If something happens to you I won't leave you."  She said it with such a matter of fact tone that he was forced to believe her.

"Yes you will.  If it comes to that."  She was shaking her head as he spoke.  "Now listen,"  he took her by the shoulders and forced her to look into his penetrating gaze.  "I didn't just go through the last five days of trying to keep you alive just to have you up and get yourself killed being stupid over me.  Now you're supposed to do as I say when I say and I tell you your gonna shoot the bastard if he kills me then get the hell out of here!"

He'd never raised his voice to her before.  And he had certainly never cursed.  He must be mad she thought.  The look on his face told her it was best if she didn't press the issue.   So she said what she knew he wanted to hear,  "Alright, I'll shoot first and ask questions later."  But she knew if something really did happen to him, she would not leave him.  He was all she had now and she would do whatever it took to save him if he needed saving.

"Besides we don't even know who  it is.  It may just be somebody traveling like us."  He voice was less that convincing.

She peered over  his shoulder at the rider on horseback silhouetted against the sinking sun.  "He sure is riding fast, like he can't wait to get to us."