Chapter 8

News spread fast of the impending apprentice ceremony for Frostfur's two oldest kits. It had been only moments since Ravenpaw heard, but suddenly it seemed like it was all cats were talking about. Ravenpaw wondered who their mentors would be, and suppressed a sigh. He had already been training for several moons when Cinderkit and Brackenkit had been born; he hadn't expected to still be training when they were made apprentices.

He glanced at the nursery and caught sight of them: Cinderkit was jabbering excitedly as Frostfur smoothed her fur before the ceremony, while Brackenkit was sitting with a serious look on his face, nodding occasionally in response to his sister's mewing.

Frostfur tilted her head in Ravenpaw's direction. He winced, expecting her to be annoyed at his staring, but she gave him a kind blink and then turned back to grooming her daughter's dark gray pelt. Apparently Ravenpaw's most recent near death incident had made him more sympathetic to the white she-cat; his relationship with Frostfur had cooled greatly since Tigerclaw had spread rumors that Ravenpaw was a ShadowClan spy. Frostfur had barely spoken to him since her kits were very young, even though they were kin.

The moon glowed high in the sky when Bluestar called the summons for the Clan meeting. Ravenpaw and Sandpaw padded into the crowd. Glancing back, Ravenpaw noticed Swiftpaw watching, looking as if he wanted to follow them. Ravenpaw motioned with his tail for the younger apprentice to join him, and the small black-and-white tom scurried to his side.

Ravenpaw peered over the top of the crowd. If he had been quicker he might have been able to sit next to Graystripe, but now he couldn't find the gray warrior at all. Settled with Sandpaw and Swiftpaw near the center of the group of cats, Ravenpaw was wishing that he had chosen a less crowded spot when Bluestar began the ceremony.

"This moonhigh, we gather together to name new apprentices for our Clan. Come forward, Brackenkit and Cinderkit." Bluestar waited a moment for the kits to pad closer to her, and then turned to Cinderkit. "From this moment, until she has earned her warrior name, this kit will be called Cinderpaw."

"Cinderpaw!" the newly named apprentice echoed, her voice filled with excitement and awe. Ravenpaw stifled a purr of amusement when he heard Frostfur silence her with a hiss.

Bluestar kept going as though she hadn't been interrupted. "Dustpelt, you are ready for your first apprentice." What? He shared a shocked glance with Sandpaw, a wave of jealousy coursing through his pelt. How could Dustpelt receive an apprentice while Ravenpaw was still in training himself? He missed most of what Bluestar said next, although he vaguely noted that she didn't mention Dustpelt's mentor, Darkstripe, in her speech. "I expect you to pass down all that you know to Cinderpaw."

Dustpelt padded forward, his eyes gleaming, to touch noses with his new apprentice. He then led Cinderpaw to a spot at the front of the gathered cats.

"And this apprentice, until he has received his warrior name, will be known as Brackenpaw," Bluestar kept on, turning to the calm ginger tom. "Graystripe, you will mentor Brackenpaw. Lionheart was your mentor. I hope that you pass on all that he taught you to this apprentice."

Graystripe stood tall, holding his tail high, and then stepped forward to touch noses with Brackenpaw. Cats murmured and nodded their approval. Ravenpaw frowned, self-doubt creeping through his pelt upon seeing his former denmates being made mentors. Was he really capable of becoming a warrior? He had been training for so many moons already, and Graystripe, who had begun his training two moons later than him, had already been chosen to mentor an apprentice. But Sandpaw has good warrior skills, Ravenpaw told himself. It's not just you.

But you're clearly incapable of defending yourself, a voice in the back of his mind mewed. Bluestar thinks you need protection at all times. You'll never be a warrior. Ravenpaw shook himself. The doubtful voice reminded him of Tigerclaw.