Chapter Two

The next morning, Erika didn't have to go into work until late. So she promised Charlie that she would walk him to school. They said goodbye to their Family and set off don't the street. Once they arrived in Cherry Street, a huge crowd of people were occupying a near-by telephone poll. The mother and son walked over, curious to see what the commotion was. There, posted on the poll, was a letter from Willy Wonka.                                                                           

Dear People of the World,                                                                                          

I, Willy Wonka, have decided to allow five children to visit my factory this year.                                                 

In addition, one of these children will also win a special prize, beyond their wildest imaginations. All you have to do is look under any ordinary wrapper of any Wonka product and search for a Golden Ticket. These tickets could be in any store, in any country of the world.                                                                                            

Good Luck                                                                          

Willy Wonka.                                                                     

"Great." sighed Erika but then she smiled.                                                                          

"What's wrong Mom?" asked Charlie.                                                                   

"You know what this means. Work is gonna be hectic until all those tickets are found." she said. Charlie laughed. He gave Erika a hug before he headed off to school and she headed off to the madness that the store was to become.                                                                 

Nat arrived at Farthingham's just as the trucks had finished unloading.                                                                  

"Did you hear?" asked Rose, handing her a box of Wonka bars.                                                                                 

"Yeah, there's posters' covering the streets." said Erika.                                                                               

"Do you know what this is going to do for business?" asked Rose excitedly.                                                        

"Do you know what it's going to do to our heads?" asked Erika, they walked inside and unpacked the boxes. There was an extra Wonka Candy Bar in the inventory. Erika checked the invoices over and over again but it wasn't listed. She decided to hold onto it until she had enough money to buy it for her son. What was the harm? Nobody knew that it was even there. Erika stored it in the pocket of her apron until she could go to the back and put it in her locker. Outside there was a huge group of people eagerly waiting for the store to open. Rose walked over and turned over the open sign.                                                             

"Well here goes nothing." he said. At that moment the crowd of people barged through the doors and demanded Wonka bars. One woman even asked for 4 at one point then returned that afternoon for another half a dozen! This was going to be a long day.                                                                   

Erika sighed and took her apron off faster than you could say Wonka Bar. No tickets were found just yet, so the days were only going to get worse. Erika went to her locker and put the candy bar inside. She grabbed her bag and left for home. On her way she passed by Wonka's factory, as she did every night. Erika stopped at the gate and stared at the large, grey factory. "Whatever happened to you Love?" She wrapped her hands around the cold, metal bars of the front gate and rested her head against them. With one big sigh, she continued her journey home.                                                                       

"I saw the huge crowd in the shop today when I was walking home Mom." said Charlie.                                               

"That wasn't even half of it. Every hour more and more came. Some even returned a second time. We ran out of stock so quickly that we had to order more just for today." said Erika, collapsing on the couch with a book.                                                                           

"Couldn't it be something Charlie to open a candy bar and find a golden ticket inside." said Grandpa Joe.              

"It would be great. But I only get one candy bar a year, for my birthday. Or the occasional one that Mom brings home." said Charlie.                                                                

"Well it's your birthday next week. You never know what could happen" said Mrs. Bucket.                         

"I'm feeling tired so I'm gonna go to bed. Goodnight." said Charlie as he went upstairs and went to bed. Unknown to everyone downstairs, he wasn't asleep.                                                                              

"It really would be great for Charlie to win a ticket. He's such a nice boy. He deserves some luck."            

"It won't happen. The kids who find those golden tickets will be the ones who can afford to buy candy every day. Charlie only gets candy on rare occasion."                                                                          

"My son has as just as much luck as anyone Grandpa." said Erika. Charlie smiled. Erika always stood up for him.                                                                                 

"Come on Grandpa; don't tell me that you don't believe that Charlie deserves something like this." asked Erika.                                                                                               

"Of Course he deserves it darling. I was only thinking logically. But mark my words the first finder will be fat, fat, fat."