Survival Skill #38

Having knowledge of proper navigation, the enemy, and the terrain are key to the planning process.

~

Tommy blinks but doesn’t say a word. He doesn’t have to. His eyes confirm everything.

I point at him. “You were the anonymous caller?”

He breaks eye contact. “I don’t know what you mean.”

The reality settles in and releases my pent-up anger. “You’re the one who called in the tip.” I tap on the old map with my finger. The glass trembles in fear. “And it’s right here. Sidehill.” I want him to deny everything. To tell me I’m wrong.

Tommy’s face doesn’t lie.

Before he can say anything, I erupt again. “This whole time, you’ve known all about it? You’ve known where Sidehill is!” My voice echoes through the small cabin. So loud, I almost want to cover my own ears.

His voice comes out flat. Cold. “Yes.”

I stumble back a few steps as if he kicked me square in the gut. Suddenly, I want to press rewind. Pretend the last few minutes never existed; yet, the rawness of my throat reminds me of the truth. Covering my mouth with both hands, I try to trap in my words. “Oh, my God.”

Tommy won’t meet my eyes. “Gaest-ost yuh-wa da-nv-ta.”

I holler at him, mimicking a screech monkey. “No! You don’t get to apologize and pretend it’s all okay. So are you gonna tell me what is really going on?”

He surrenders with his hands. “Calm down, Elu.”

I shake my head. “Calm down? You don’t get to say that to me. You’re part of the reason I’m a total basket case. You lied to me. Tell me what’s going on ... NOW!”

He jerks back, seemingly surprised at my verbal attack and glass-shattering volume. His voice quakes. “A few days before your dad went missing, I was hiking back to town from an old Indian burial ground, Sidehill, and came across some type of camp.”

The butterflies in my stomach are replaced by a deep, twisted feeling. I place my hand on my belly to settle my spinning nerves. “What kind of camp, Tommy?”

He practically whispers, like saying the truth quietly makes it hurt less. “I’m not sure.”

“Why did you report it?”

Tommy thinks for a moment. “It smelled funny. I left before I got a good look. Didn’t want them to find the burial or anything.”

“You left?” My voice bounces into a higher octave. “Let me get this straight. You found some type of stinky campsite, weird enough for you to call the police with an anonymous tip, but you left without checking it out? And even after my dad went missing, you kept it from me?”

His sad eyes droop. “I called it in, but I assumed it wasn’t connected.”

“But you didn’t know that.” I lean against the wall for support. Speaking words this fast and loud is sapping my energy. Making me lightheaded.

Tommy repeats himself. “I’m sorry.”

“Stop saying that.” I study Tommy’s face in the flickering light. Suddenly, I realize this isn’t the man I’ve known my entire life. My stand-in grandpa whom I’ve loved so much is gone. He even looks different. Like a complete stranger.

Panic gushes through me. Everyone I care about has betrayed me. Carl’s shut me out, Mom’s abandoned me, Les is a traitor, and now Tommy’s lied to me. I reenter my body and will my lungs to breathe.

Tommy answers me. “Elu, I didn’t mean to keep anything from you. I assumed the police checked it out already and it wasn’t connected.”

I slam my hands down on the table. “But the police probably couldn’t find it, Tommy! It’s not on any modern trail maps!”

Tommy looks horrified. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure. I wouldn’t lie to you.” In a flash, something clicks. Some pieces move into place. “Al and Billy must be hiding in the woods and killing bears to make a quick buck. Dad must have found out and they had no choice but to take him. Maybe even wanted him to help them track. Sidehill must be where their real camp is. This whole time, you could’ve made a difference.”

“I didn’t want to get involved.”

I plaster on a disgusted look. “Involved? Don’t you care what happens to my dad? Your friend?”

“You know I do. But it was the police’s job. I have my own things to protect.”

I grab my hair and tug in frustration. “What things? What’s so important that it’s worth turning your back on my dad? Lying to me?”

Tommy sighs in defeat. “Every year, a few of the Eastern Cherokees hike up to Sidehill on the anniversary of Tsali’s death.”

I’m confused. “Why?”

“To pray. Sidehill is Tsali’s resting place. One of the only Cherokee burial sites still intact.”

I shake my head as facts stream by. “I thought you said Tsali was buried under Lake Fontana?”

“That story was concocted years ago to throw people off. Thousands of sacred places have been destroyed by tourists, even historians. When someone tampers with a burial ground, they disturb the resting spirits. I didn’t want to call any attention to where it was. Have people tracking in and out up there.”

My mouth gapes open. “I can’t believe what I’m hearing. You’re the same man who gave up everything to help Ama fight cancer. To keep her alive. Now you’re giving up on the living and are more focused on the dead then ever. So my dad … has to suffer … for a man who died … over a hundred years ago?”

Tommy looks at me with tears in his eyes. “He wasn’t just a man! He is my blood, and he’s a hero. He’s protecting Ama in the afterlife until I join her.”

Tears stream down my face. “He’s dead, Tommy! Dad might still be alive. Besides, Tsali gave up his life for the people he loved. What have you done to honor that? Nothing. You’ve turned your back on me, on Dad, on everything Tsali stood for?”

Tommy stares down at his moccasins. “You wouldn’t understand what’s important to the reservation. Only our ancestors understand.”

I screech. “You mean ghosts!”

He shakes his head. “I told the police. What more could I do? They were the ones who decided it wasn’t important. Not me.”

“No, you just didn’t do anything to make sure.” I rip the framed picture off the wall and smash it on the ground. When I snatch the map from the shattered pile, a piece of glass slices my hand. I’m so numb, I barely feel the cut across my skin. “You know what? I’m not turning my back on Dad the way you have. I’m going to help the people I love. Like Tsali. Unlike you.” I stomp out of the hut and storm off into the darkening woods.

Tommy calls after me. “Elu! Higinelii!”

All I can do is scream goodbye. “You’re no friend of mine! Do-na-da-go-v-i!”

I grab my bag and run from the house without looking back. I can’t bear to see the stranger standing there, making excuses. Tears streak my face as I fight my way through the trees. A thick mist hovers over the forest floor. I don’t even know where I’m going but I know I’m too angry to stop.

Then, a dog barks in the distance. I’d recognize that bark anywhere.

It’s Bear.

Wonder what he’s doing so far out here, so far from the station? I head off in the direction of the sound. About a half a mile later, clapping noises echo through the woods followed by more barking.

I freeze. It takes a second for my brain to process what I just heard.

And this time, I know exactly what they are.

Gunshots.